Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Back Pain. managable in the day but troublesome at night.

(2 Posts)
AtYourCervix Croatia Wed 15-May-13 07:44:32

ongoing chronic sort of achy back (about 4 years since I badly yanked it and it's hurt evrr since) . MRI a coiple of years ago showed nothing. Often get twangy burny ache down the fronts of my thighs to my knees.

Anyway. I can cope with it in the day by loosening up, keeping going and not bending over. But ig is a problem at night.

Once in bed I seize up. I can't turn over without waking up. It hurts. And I am chronucally tired.

Any ideas? It's driving me nuts.

AnonYonimousBird Wed 15-May-13 20:58:10

I don't know what your burny ache is, but I can only share the benefit of my experience.

I have had a bad back for 7 years (surgery, slipped discs, the lot) and every night I struggled, just as you describe. The mornings were beyond awful.

Two years ago, I had a bad chest infection, so I slept propped up to help with breathing for two weeks. I realised, after that period, that I was feeling so much better at night and in the morning PLUS I then started to sleep so much better. So much of the stiffness and pain had subsided. I realised I was releasing the pressure on my spine by sleeping in this position.

better than all the physio, exercise, and everything that had been churned through for nearly 5 years.

Two thick, firm, pillows and alleluyah, I sleep as well as I ever expect I might and I can just GET OUT OF BED in the morning. It used to take me 10-15 minutes just to get out previously, I had a whole regime of stretches and moves that I had to go through, including rolling off the bed, I couldn't stand up at all. I would then crawl to the bathroom and haul myself up from there.

Good luck, I really do have every sympathy. It's utterly miserable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now