Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pelvic ultrasound

(11 Posts)

Pelvic ultrasound done due to very heavy bleeding.

My right ovary couldn't be located

Has anyone had similar? /know why?

Thanks

Roshbegosh Tue 14-May-13 22:16:13

It is not a bad sign. Was it an abdominal or internal scan?

Both abdomial and internal.
Also I had a bit of a sharp pain lower left of my abdomen when the probe was moved.

Roshbegosh Tue 14-May-13 22:27:37

It's unusual to be unable to see it on a TV scan but if anything nasty is going on in the ovary they become easier to see, not harder so be reassured. Heavy bleeding is more likely to be a uterine cause. Did they identify the cause?

LostInWales Tue 14-May-13 22:31:14

What Roshbegosh said plus they wander off sometimes! Depends on your bowel content, gas etc. I think mine has been missing on and off for years. You'd be amazed how fluid the contents of your abdomen can be, certainly nothing like those rigid models they use to teach anatomy. Your kidneys move up and down depending on your breathing grin.

Thanks for replying.

The lady who did the ultrasound didnt give much away. The results should be with gp in a week or so

I just dont have much patience lol

Jestrin Wed 15-May-13 18:07:03

I wouldn't worry too much. I have had the same thing done in the last month and they couldn't see my left ovary. The radiographer (?) said it wasn't something to worry about because if there was anything to see the ovary would 'stand out' .

Mamf74 Wed 15-May-13 18:13:21

I had a scan last week, and one of my ovaries is MIA! I have endometriosis so my pelvis is tethered in all.sorts of odd ways but it's not uncommon to have stuff shift; as pp have said gas, time of the month and biology could all explain it's disappearing act.

It would almost certainly show if something untoward was affecting it (I asked about mine as have history of cysts etc) so no clear sight is not generally considered a problem.

It's a pita to wait for results though, when you know the scanner knows exactly what's going on!

EuroShaggleton Wed 15-May-13 18:16:56

Depends how good the sonographer was. They all struggle to find one of mine, but have all got there in the end. It hides behind my womb and they have to poke about for it. And this is on tv scans for fertility, so with sonographers who look specifically at ovaries day in day out!

digerd Wed 15-May-13 20:08:09

My goodness. What we women go through - we are so brave.

I went for a scan, but forgot and went to the loo beforehand as was at the age when I couldn't hold it for longblush

I was told off and they could only use the internal mirror on a stick, but couldn't see my left Ovary. Mine was due to a wonky Cervix. Had a GA and Hysteroscopy and all was fine.

Thanks for the reassuring replies.

digerd lol I nearly did the same? Realised when I reached the cubicle

Was most relieved (excuse the pun) when I was able to go loo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now