Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Anyone else had a laparoscopy?

(18 Posts)

Got to go in to hospital Friday for a laparoscopy just wondered if anyone else had had it done and what the recovery time was like.

Also what would you back in a day bag for the hospital?

bulletproofgerbil Tue 14-May-13 21:24:39

Yes I've had two. Would recommend arnica tablets, which I find brilliant for bruising. I think the camera pokeage causes a bit of internal bruising which can make you feel a bit tender.

Would take stuff to do in case you are hanging around waiting - book/kindle/ipad or whatever. A bit of loose change just in case you need anything from the shop, something loose like tracky bottoms to wear afterwards. They inflate your tummy with air so they can access all the bits and bobs they want to view and you can be left looking like a balloon till it goes back down. There's no way I could have got jeans on afterwards. Night time thickness sanitary towels.

It's not unusual to have a really weird pain in your shoulder area afterwards - something to do with the blowing your tummy up as I remember.

You will be given some painkillers just before or as you are coming round, so you shouldn't be in discomfort afterwards. When that wore off though I did feel like I'd been kicked in the stomach for a day or two and needed painkillers. I do have a very low pain threshold indeed though. It took me about 10 days to feel comfy again and I did have quite a bit of bleeding too (like a heavyish period) which no one had bothered to tell me isn't unusual. I think though most people get over it quicker than I did. I'm very sensitive to pain. Hope all goes well for you on Friday.

Mummycox Tue 14-May-13 21:28:00

All of the above plus Peppermint tea for the relief of the bloating and shoulder pain (which is trapped wind).

Recovery time is a about four days.

nextphase Tue 14-May-13 21:29:28

Yes.
I spent 2 weeks curled up on the sofa, except for the wedding I had to / wanted to go to on about day 4. I was back at work after 2 weeks, but in retrospect, I should have stayed off longer.
HOWEVER mine was an ectopic pregnancy, so I had to recover mentally, as well as physically, and since the baby had been removed, I was also effectively miscarrying at the same time - and I'm certain that the combination of all this added to my recovery time.

Day bag: slippers / comfy shoes, loose clothes, snacks, squash to dilute - I was sooo thirsty afterwards, and didn't loose the thirst til I'd had some fruit juice. I wonder if it was the salts / sugars I needed more than the liquid? i-pod and headphones or similar, book / puzzle book. BIG pants and loose waist band / dress to come home in. Make sure any electronics you take are charged!

I was hoping to go back to work on Monday do you think that's a bit unrealistic? I have quite a good pain threshold.

Nextphase, sorry to hear what a bad time you had. Mine is for suspected endometriosis so I guess it depends what they find as to how much they do.

bulletproofgerbil Tue 14-May-13 22:02:00

Am sorry you had such a rough time too Nextphase. It's tricky re going back to work because everyone is different (and will have different things done at the time depending on what the issue is.) There's absolutely no way I'd have been able to go back to work on Monday after having the procedure done the previous Fri though. Would it be possible for you to provisionally book next week off just in case and then go back before, if you feel up to it?

I have already told them I'm having op and not really sure what to expect so they are prepared I may not be in. What worries me more is oh is back to work Tuesday and he will be away for 4 days so I'll be on my own with my 17 month old. Guess I'll just have to see how I feel.

piprabbit Tue 14-May-13 22:14:11

I had a laparoscopy twice. The first time I was signed off for 6 weeks, it took about 2 weeks to physically recover but like nextphase I needed the rest of the time to recover emotionally from the ectopic (I didn't ask for 6 weeks, the nurse insisted that the doctor gave me six weeks - she was rather wonderful).
The second time I was signed off for two weeks and was ready to get back to work by then.

nextphase Wed 15-May-13 09:37:43

I've got a decent pain threashold having birthed 2 kids on just paracetmol, so maybe a lot of it was emotional healing, rather than physical. My first message crossed with the other responses, sounds like i had it worse than the others.

With a toddler and DH away, I'd honestly take whatever standard sick note they offer you - I was discharged with sick note for 2 weeks. In hindsight, I wasn't ready to go back at that point but I'm stubborn and had had my fill of Mr Kyle If toddler can go to his normal care for some of the day, you will probably be fine.

littleducks Wed 15-May-13 10:36:45

I had a diagnostic lapoeoscopy when I was 16/17. I slept the test of the day but was back at work the next day.

I had a hysteroscopy about 6/7 years later and needed a couple if days if bed rest then a fairly chilled week (was at home with kids do could stick cbeebies on). I felt worse that time.

I think it's hard to judge how it will affect you in advance and sone people react better to different anaesthetics etc better than others.

EuroShaggleton Wed 15-May-13 10:42:57

I had one many years ago. I had it on either a Thursday or Friday morning, spent the next couple of days recuperating at home (walking like a hunch back) and on Sunday got the coach 150 miles back to my university town, feeling a bit delicate but largely ok. I did go back to classes on Tuesday (about a mile walk each way across campus) but had an allergic reaction to something they had given me, passed out in a class(!) and spent the rest of the week at home. I think really I should have planned to be off for a week. I didn't feel too bad from the surgery - just a bit bruised - but it was my first GA and it was that I needed some time to recover from.

I didn't have anything done in mine - it was just diagnostic. If they are lasering away endo or removing tubes, it's likely to be a bit more painful.

BestIsWest Wed 15-May-13 11:46:10

I think it's hard to judge. I had an investigative one for suspected endometriosis few years ago. I had it on the Wednesday and was back in work the following Monday. But everyone is different.

Sugarice Wed 15-May-13 12:43:38

I had one and was able to go home six hours later but I did spend 4 days recovering, I was heavily bruised and had 4 incisions, those stitches were removed 5 days later at the hospital.

I'd say a week to recover is sensible . I spent the first night sleeping sat bolt upright as the pain in my chest and shoulders was quite intense, the result of the anaesthetic and the my insides being inflated apparently for a good look!

ArcticRoll Wed 15-May-13 12:46:54

I had one many years ago. If I remember I had two weeks off work, the first week I was completely wiped out by the anesthetic.

ClaireandGeorge

Have had a laparoscopic type op done; it is usually done when endometriosis is suspected. Its keyhole surgery so any scarring should be minimal if at all noticeable (the incisions weren't at all noticeable in my case).

Mine was a day case but I would take a day bag in any event. They want to make sure before leaving that you can both urinate and defecate without any problems.

Recovery time for me post op was two days; found that the CO2 gas used during the op (surgeon uses that to get a better view of the organs) does travel upwards to the shoulders and can cause pain. Found that painkillers did take the edge off it eventually.

I presume someone else will drive you home post op. This is essential. Ensure too that you receive an apt a week or so post op to discuss the findings (I can give you questions to ask if you wish). DO not let them talk to you about the op when you are in the recovery room, this is bad practice.

Gunznroses Wed 15-May-13 14:14:59

same as Attila here, day case to investigate endometriosis, have little memory of it, recovery was abut 48hrs, didn't experience any pain and didn't need any pain killers, but was driven home. Good luck!

BoysRule Wed 15-May-13 14:22:35

I had two. First one was on a Friday and back to work Monday. I echo what AttilaTheMeerkat says about an appointment to talk about the op - I was told by a junior doctor after coming round from the anaesthetic that I was infertile. They then gave me an appointment for three months time to discuss my options! (I now have two beautiful boys who were conceived naturally, so they were wrong).

The second one was supposed to be a day surgery but I ended up in overnight as they perforated my womb (this sounds worse than it is) so I had to stay in overnight.

So, I guess be prepared to stay overnight. I didn't find the pain bad and they gave strong pain killers anyway. I found it more comfortable to walk around and keep active. The second one, I had a toddler too and I was fine keeping up with him.

Good luck.

Jestrin Wed 15-May-13 19:49:34

It depends what they do. I've had three done over the last few years. The last one included them releasing my bowel which had adhered thanks to endo. I was off work for a week because I was on strong painkillers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now