Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

had a tooth extractdion, well root canal, but what is it that has been left?

(9 Posts)
waikikamookau Mon 13-May-13 16:40:55

it is black and white?
bone?
the roots?

GrandPoohBah Mon 13-May-13 16:44:27

There's a difference between and extraction and a root canal, which one did you have?

With an extraction they'll remove the whole tooth, leaving a gap.

A root canal is where they open up the tooth (leaving most of the structure) and kill the root. They'll put a temporary filling on and then you generally either need a permanent filling or a crown fitted on top.

waikikamookau Mon 13-May-13 16:45:54

I had a root canal filling, @ 20 years ago, and today I had the tooth extracted.
but am concerned about what they have left there?

waikikamookau Tue 14-May-13 07:41:56

bump?

Footle Tue 14-May-13 14:27:25

As I understand it, which may not be correct, what is left is your gum, with a hole in it where the tooth-root was, stretching down into the bone. The gum itself will close up as it heals, leaving a hole in the bone that supported the tooth.

If you're wondering what you can see by peering about in the mirror soon after the tooth has been extracted, that will be clotted blood, maybe a bit of pus , and possibly a stitch that the dentist put in if the gum was torn - but you'd think you'd have known this was being done.

As the hole heals you'll see a blob of scar tissue forming, and that will come away in its own time. If you see a sharp white thing sticking up, that would be a splinter of tooth which has got left behind by accident. It should come out on its own in a few days, but if it doesn't, or if it hurts, the dentist should fit you in for an emergency appointment and hoik it out.

I hope this is right - it comes from experience not training - and I hope it helps.

waikikamookau Tue 14-May-13 14:57:43

oh thanks, I did see a white thing as I said, but pretty sure there was no stitching, it was very quick

Footle Tue 14-May-13 17:33:39

Ah, I wonder if you understood what the root canals are ? They are the channels inside the tooth root in which the nerve lives. Root canal work means killing the nerve and removing what's left of it so the canal is clean. So when the whole tooth is taken out, the empty socket is what's left.

Aren't there any dentists around here to explain this more authoritatively ? I'm just one of those poor sods who's sat in your chair enduring it all more times than I care to count.

MrsMorton Tue 14-May-13 18:52:15

footle is right. I'm a dentist but I have no authority outside my marriage wink

Footle Wed 15-May-13 09:35:23

At least you've got it where it matters, Mrs M.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now