Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dermoid cyst HELP!!!!!!!

(12 Posts)
Dawniey1986 Sun 12-May-13 20:31:48

Hi I'm not sure if I'm posting on the right area, I've not been on here for a few years (since i was expecting my now 3 year old) and have had to re register as forgot my old email etc!!

I was tool to A and E a few months back with severe abdominal pain , I had tests and X-ray which shown signs of possible kidney stones, I was referred and 2 weeks later sent for CT scan...2 weeks later went to consultant who said that the stones were small enough to pass and they would monitor....but the scan had shown up a sizeable cyst on ovary (5cm) and that he would have to refer me...(this was on the wed)...i was referred as emergency and the following Week I went to see consultant at the woman's investigation unit, they then gave me am ultra sound, they said that the cyst is a dermoid tumour...that is now 6cm and would need to be removed by a laparotomy and my ovary would more than likely be removed...she said that they review cases with other surgeons on a wed and that one of the other surgians maybe prepared to do it key hole but she doubted it,.,,,anyway she said she would contact me on the thurs and let me no the way the surgery would go!
I didn't hear and didn't have the direct number of the department, so I had to ring around and was directed to the procedure line (booking line) I gave my details where they confirmed I was having a laparotomy and ovarian cystcectomy......and I'm on the waiting list...,I've had no contact from consultant and wouldn't of known this if not for ringing booking line..,,,,has anyone else had this procedure and does anyone have any info.,,do you no how long the average wait is for surgery????im so sorry for the essay..,wanted give as much info as possible...,thanks in advance

chocoluvva Mon 13-May-13 20:34:20

Bumping for relevant info for you.

I'd make an appointment with your GP and ask them to follow this up for you.

Dawniey1986 Mon 13-May-13 20:55:03

Thanks a lot :-) what does the bumping for relevant info mean (I'm sorry if I'm sounding really dumb) quite a few years since iv been on here :-)

Went to GP today and he just said that I'm in the best hands (consultant) and wait for them to contact me....feel in limbo

chipmonkey Mon 13-May-13 21:26:13

Hi Dawny, "bumping" for relevant info means making a post on a thread to keep it visible and active so someone with experience of what you have is more likely to see it.
Which is what I am also doing as also have no experience of this. It sounds very worrying for you.

Footle Mon 13-May-13 22:10:50

The best person to help you is the surgeon / consultant's secretary. You should be able to get the phone number through your GP, or through the clinic where you were seen.
Hope you get on ok.

Bessie123 Mon 13-May-13 22:14:18

I had this, the cyst was about the size of a fist, it was massive. I had my cyst removed at the same time I had a Caesarian and the consultant said she thought it was 50/50 whether I could have had keyhole surgery, had I not been pregnant. I didn't have my ovary removed.

Bessie123 Mon 13-May-13 22:15:19

I should have asked but didn't how the cyst would come out of a v small hole

chocoluvva Tue 14-May-13 09:10:38

Dawnkey - I hoped your GP would at least have had access to relevant phone numbers for you. (Although it's surprising how often medical info is not easily accessible by other medics in different departments.)

Phoning your consultant's secretary is a good idea. Hopefully, she will know how long you're likely to have to wait.

meala Tue 14-May-13 09:44:22

Hi. I had this op a few years ago. I was onthe waiting list for laparotomy but ended up admitted as an emergency as cyst twisted my tube and caused extreme pain.

Recovery was quite long. I was signed off work for 6 weeks. Similar to a c-section, driving isn't recommended for a few weeks. I also had problems with hormones imbalance afterwards and had problems with the wound healing but I think I was just unlucky.

Hope everything goes well for you

Dawniey1986 Tue 14-May-13 19:51:06

Thanks everyone :-)...choccolova...my doctor didn't even have the details of my new consultant so wasn't aware I was even due to have surgery :-(..,I'd got put through to consultants secutary and she was the one who advised me to ring the booking line...I suppose I just need give it a few weeks see if they get in touch!!
Mela...thanks so much for commenting, it's good to hear others who have had same thing, really I bet that was so painful.,,I'm having pain at the mo, but not constant...stabbing pains that come and go..GP just said to take pain killers....feel like now I no it's there just want it out xx

LilacBreastedRoller Tue 14-May-13 23:25:20

I had a 10cm dermoid removed ten years ago. I was expecting a laparotomy, but when I woke up it had been done via keyhole. I lost the ovary, but that has had no repercussions for me and they said it probably wasn't functioning anyway. This waiting part is horrible, I remember it. Good luck, it does sound like things are happening (even if nobody's telling you!). flowers

CheesyPoofs Wed 15-May-13 00:11:00

I waited about 2 weeks for my op but it was an emergency as my cyst was massive (30cm across). I was cut downwards from my belly button to my groin, but again this was because the cyst was so big I needed extensive surgery. I lost my ovary and tube on one side and was off work for about 12 weeks after the op.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now