Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Damn. Breast Screening recall!

(21 Posts)
Erebus Fri 10-May-13 10:48:41

Somehow, I just had a feeling my mammo might have an issue (my first, having just turned 50). No lumps or bumps, no changes, but deep down, I've always had a back-of-my-mind thought that- well, let's call a spade a spade, I might get breast cancer. There's no particular reason, really, nothing familial and so on but hey.

Anyway, next Weds it is.

<gulp>

malteserzz Fri 10-May-13 11:16:58

Don't quite a lot of women get recalls and it turns out to be fine ? And take heart from if it is being cancer at least it's caught early
Try to keep busy and hope everything turns out fined

Well, it may be that your breast tissue is still relatively dense and they couldn't get a good enough picture, since you are at the bottom of the age range when they think it's worth doing mammograms.

And, even if there is something there, a high proportion of what they find isn't cancer.

Plus, well, if it is, they will be finding it very quickly if you haven't noticed any changes, and you'll be treated and get the all-clear in no time at all. A lot of the cancers they do find are in the category of "it would never have given you any trouble anyway" which is why there is ongoing debate about whether screening is helpful overall (I'm in favour, and would sooner they found things and whisked them out, but opinion varies).

So - deep breath and try not to fret too much.

Erebus Fri 10-May-13 11:51:56

Thanks. I know I shouldn't leap to conclusions! I'm a HCP so should know better, though I will be dropping in to see my 'bestie' of 51 this afternoon as she's just finished her last round of breast ca. chemo.... confused... that probably skews my normally sane and grown-up though processes!

I too was a bi unsure about whether to get involved in screening or not, too. I've read the stats and both sides of the argument but I took the soddit option and just went!

malteserzz Fri 10-May-13 11:55:01

I wish they started the screening earlier as I've just been diagnosed at 41 and there seems to be lots of younger women with it
However you will more than likely be absolutely fine x

Chopchopbusybusy Fri 10-May-13 11:58:36

I've just been through this and got the all clear today!
I could say don't worry, but it's natural to worry a bit. The breast unit was very efficient, so I hope you have the same experience.
My understanding is that it's very common to be recalled especially after your first mammogram as they have nothing to compare it to.

Erebus Fri 10-May-13 12:22:46

Thanks, everyone.

I am not normally a <wibble> person and was actually a bit surprised at myself when I opened that envelope this morning and felt a tiny bit dizzy (I'm not a fainter, either!).

I will report back after Weds. My poor friend did have an ongoing lump that appeared to grow and shrink with her cycle, thus shouted 'cyst' to her and her GP, apparently but for some reason the GP, after several visits over a few years (I gather), sent her to the BSU and lo.

Sorry to hear about your situation, malt. Hope yours was caught early.

Dahlialover Fri 10-May-13 16:10:37

I would go with them not having anything to compare it with yet, expecially as you are still likely to have denser breast tissue.

Must admit, I dreaded this happening to me, as I had a lot of mastitis and probably have scar tissue from that. Thankfully, it didn't. I was mightily relieved, as the screening experience had not been a very happy one.

Statistically, loads of people are recalled for every diagnosis of cancer, so I hoping for the best for you.

Erebus Fri 10-May-13 16:40:30

Thanks. I am hoping it's scar tissue from a fibroadenoma removed 30 years ago, or maybe a raised, dark almost warty mole under but on my left boob I developed (along with other places on my torso!) with pregnancy! I wasn't asked any questions at the screening about previous surgery etc.

Right now I am hoping I can remain calm til Weds; and thankfully the mammogram wasn't a problem at all for me so I'm not dreading the extra views, but maybe won't be happy about a fine needle biopsy- they hurt! (I have done mammography myself in the past, but have chosen not to look at my images or the report).

tgisue Wed 15-May-13 15:21:18

hi erebus, how did you get on today?

Erebus Thu 16-May-13 19:36:21

OK, interesting.

I glanced at the nurse's notes which said 'likely cyst'.

I had 2 more views done, then went to see the doc, who also said 'probably a cyst but if it's solid, we have to biopsy it, ok? But it doesn't show any sinister features.

It was solid, needless to say, so I had to have a biopsy. OK, 4! Under xray control. Not maybe the most pleasant of procedures but 'acceptable'. Needs must, and I am a grown-up.

Now I must await the results of that!...

smee Fri 17-May-13 13:19:32

When do you get results, Erebus? Hope soon, though cyst sounds quite likely. I've had BC and they told me straight away they were pretty sure that's what it was - very clear even before I'd had the biopsy.

will keep fingers crossed for you x

ll31 Mon 20-May-13 09:08:51

Hope you got good results

digerd Mon 20-May-13 09:42:19

My DD had her first mammo aged 47 and was very upset that she had been recalled so quickly - letter arrived Saturday for appt on Monday.

They are doing this to catch very early non-cancerous that can become malignant cells later.

DD had 5 biopsies on a cluster of calcified cells shown up on the mammo. Was explained they could be 80% nohing to worry about and 20% could turn malignant later. If the latter, no masectomy, just the cells removed.

5 days later a phone call telling her " all definitely benign types - harmless"

Erebus Tue 21-May-13 18:10:02

Still waiting for the biopsy results....

But very glad digerd's DD got the 'all clear'!

digerd Tue 21-May-13 20:11:40

OP
DD had a large lump that quickly appeared, which is always a good sign, in 1997, but they still took a biopsy to make sure. It was a cyst, not malignant.

Good luck

Erebus Fri 24-May-13 18:34:31

Update: the biopsy didn't hit pay-dirt! Never mind. The doc apologised (though I don't think she needed to; it was small and deep, needle-in-a-haystack territory, and she had a good go). She said that all the team had reviewed my mammograms and all had said 'fibroadenoma' (good) and then asked whether I'd want to undergo another ultrasound guided biopsy in 10 days time which I've agreed to, but I'm cool. I'm quite relaxed about it as I feel it is almost certainly a fibroadenoma; but I would like to know.

I'll update!

And good luck to everyone else.

digerd Fri 24-May-13 18:44:16

Always best to be sure. And Ultra Sound pinpoints the exact area they need to biopsy.

Good luck.

tgisue Mon 10-Jun-13 11:30:35

Hi Erebus,

Just wondered how your second biopsy went?

Erebus Mon 10-Jun-13 20:39:49

Hi, I had the ultrasound biopsy last Weds- rather less fuss than the xray guided one earlier, but I must say more uncomfortable! I get the results on Thursday (when I won't be around, actually, to hear them!).

I am oddly chilled about the whole thing, now- I guess having had 2 breast consultants say they're sure it's a fibroadenoma helps!

I have decided not to think about it til I have to!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now