Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Weird viral symptoms

(15 Posts)

Apparently it can take months to clear. It took quite a while to clear for me and I can still have flare ups. It was obvious for me though, as soon after I got ill my DD came down with slapped cheek syndrome!

As you say, not sure about the cough? Maybe a separate issue indeed. I can't remember if I had a cough or not, it was a few years ago.

dinkydoodah Sat 25-May-13 22:54:38

ParanoidAnnie somebody did mention slapped cheek syndrome to me and looking at the symptons it sounds about right. I am not sure the cough is typical though but that could be just another separate issue. I am still really tired so it is taking its time clearing off but this also seems to be typically the case.

I had the exact same symptoms and it was 'slapped cheek syndrome' this is how it presents itself in adults. Just an idea? Google it you'll be surprised.

dinkydoodah Fri 24-May-13 22:35:39

marshmallowroot sorry to hear you and your DC's have been suffering with this but thanks for posting - it is reassuring to know this thing is just a virus which will eventually resolve. I have never had my feet and hands swell like that. I am still exhausted but getting a little better each day apart from a niggly cough which won't go away sad

MarshmallowRoot Thu 23-May-13 23:45:41

Yes all viral symptoms. My DC have both had exactly what you describe recently and I have had the same but milder. Tiredness, watery eyes, lingering coughs, itchy rashes, awful headaches, fever.

I have had extreme tiredness, the rashes, watery eyes, slight headache, the weird swollen hands and feet you describe on and off, no fever though (fever not typical of virus in adults anyway).

Must be going around

Hope you are feeling better soon x x x

dinkydoodah Thu 23-May-13 13:56:57

nosleeptilever great to hear from you! Glad to hear you are feeling better + hope you enjoyed your holiday. I am feeling much better than I was, no more swollen hands/feet and achey joints. I am still, however, VERY tired and have a lingering cough which wakes me at night. I am happy to be feeling better but it seems to be a slow process but I guess viruses are like this. I didn't have any blood tests as doc said not really worthwhile as he was certain my symptons were all viral. Overall, I am glad we are both on the mend. Take care and thanks for checking in thanks

nosleeptilever Thu 23-May-13 08:14:49

*did

nosleeptilever Thu 23-May-13 08:14:14

hi dinky, I'm just checking in to see how you're feeling. Any better?
The Dr came back with blood results for me and they were all normal. Feeling better after 2 weeks sick leave and a week's holiday but really notice how easily tired I get.
Dud you go to the Dr?

nosleeptilever Fri 10-May-13 18:42:17

Hopefully you feel better over the weekend dinky.

We've just finished packing and my legs are screaming and just want to sleep, plus sore throat.

Anyone else got nasty virus this year? My doc said she's seeing alot of more serious non-serious viruses (iyswim).

dinkydoodah Fri 10-May-13 18:34:09

I am going to see how I am over the weekend and if no better, see another doc. Glad you feeling better and maybe now you will enjoy your holiday. Enjoy the sun & hope you have a relaxing time thanks

nosleeptilever Fri 10-May-13 17:03:41

No word yet about bloods so it'll be another week now as we're off on holiday tomorrow. My mantra is "no news is good news". I'm feeling better but still easily tired.
Is there another GP you could go to for a second opinion? I would definitely pursue one.
thanks

dinkydoodah Fri 10-May-13 13:33:04

nosleeptilever did you get your blood results? Are you feeling better?

This morning my knuckles were all red and a bit sore. I have zero energy at all but this could be due to coughing all night so very little sleep. Has anyone else had anything like this?

dinkydoodah Thu 09-May-13 08:45:47

Thank you for your reply. I know what you mean about having the stress of going on holiday - I couldn't face that right now. I am going to give it another day then go back to doctors if no better. My gut instinct is that it is viral but I am also wondering whether my asthma is flaring up too. I was diagnosed with asthma 20 years ago but have only needed an inhaler a couple of times in all that time. Maybe the allergy season has kicked it off? My doc didn't take any bloods as she was so certain it was viral. Do let me know what your blood results are, I am sure they will be ok but would be interested. Who knows, once you get to Mallorca all the fresh sea air might do you the world of good. Hope you start to feel better soon.

nosleeptilever Thu 09-May-13 08:29:27

Oh my goodness! I'm going through a very similar thing. Awful isn't it. I had the initial virus which was kind of coldlike and made me very tired and then a measles-like rash that was itchy, after that came swollen joints but mine ached terribly. The doc gave me diclenofac for inflammation but it didn't agree with my stomach. Had to go back this week because I'm still just exhausted after doing very little and my hands and feet still ache. Doc prescribed me the same antihistamine as you as she thought the continual cold could be allergies. She also took a bunch of bloods to rule out rheumatoid arthritis, thyroid etc. I find out hopefully tomorrow.
She did say that she suspected it was just post-viral symptoms that would probably take a while to resolve.
It's rubbish isn't it? we're supposed to be going on holiday to Mallorca on Saturday and I honestly don't feel like it as the effort to get myself and ds 2.8 ready (even with lots if help from lovely dh) is just too much to contemplate.
Are you going back to GP? I'll post once my test results come back.

dinkydoodah Thu 09-May-13 08:15:15

I started feeling tired all last week and thought maybe it was as a result of starting taking my antihistamines (cetirizine). Come Saturday I felt quite ill as in very tired, slightly nauseous and headachey but what concerned me most was that my feet and hands became puffy/swollen. They did not really ache just felt a bit tight. I could not get any shoes on other than my flip flops. I went to the walk in centre and they checked me over and said they thought it was a virus but to see doctor on Tuesday (after bank holiday). By Tuesday I had developed a non productive cough which was much worse at night - could go a lot of the day without coughing apart from a few outbursts which were intense and breathtaking. Went to doctors on Tuesday and she said virus, just take ibuprofen. Since then I have had a rash and pain confined to my knee which lasted about 8 hours and has now moved to my elbow. My knee feels ok again and although the rash covers the outside of my elbow it is not necessarily painful but feels hot. I suspect this will move too. I go through periods of feeling a bit better and do a bit of work but then I feel overwhelmingly sleepy. I also have an ongoing headache and aversion to bright light as well as some slight itchiness of my skin. Has anyone else had a virus which presented itself like this? How long did it last? I have never had anything like this before and I am worried it is something more sinister.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now