Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can I talk about blood sugar levels and stuff?

(10 Posts)
blobandsnail Wed 08-May-13 22:04:28

All your symptoms are classic of hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar). Sounds like insulin resistance to me. Put simply you eat something high in simple carbohydrate, your body releases huge amounts of insulin, more than is required, lowers your blood sugar and then you're hypo so you eat. Basically an endless cycle.

I used to suffer from insulin resistance. Blood tests showed low random glucose, taken about an hour after eating, but normal fasting. Two things I find help me cope with it. The first is exercise, I run 4 to 5 times a week. The second is cutting out all sugars and simple carbs, no white bread or flour products, no sugar and for me I cut out sweet foods including fruit only eating once or twice a week absolute maximum. I find with this I dont get that massive must eat now or ill die feeling and I no longer get faint, or shakey.

However go and see a doctor! Especially if you're at risk of type 2 diabetes. Also are you overweight or suffer from PCOS? Both increase the likelihood of insulin resistance.

SacreBlue Wed 08-May-13 07:32:39

I read about it's use as part of cooking firstly, then read bits on how it's used to regulate blood sugar in the Indian subcontinent, often as a 'folk remedy' for type II.

Again just stating I have no evidence it works as I couldn't find any empirical studies online didn't search v hard either I just though it might be worth a go as I'm not on any meds it apparently could react to and my Dad's family is riddled with diabetics with both types so crossed fingers it might prevent or help me if I developed d

I drink the tea but you can get powdered form etc. from health food shops. If nothing else it's nice in your curry wink

digerd Wed 08-May-13 07:03:57

I have always had those symptoms when hungry as long as I can remember, but my BS is fine < on the minimum>.
Some people just need more. As soon as my tummy is getting its enormous portions, my whole body turns off its red alert signal.

My DB says it's all in my mind as he can go without a mid-day meal < the fact that he has brunch at 11 am says it all>

Tortoiseontheeggshell Wed 08-May-13 07:03:34

What is fenugreek supposed to do? Raise blood sugar? I had GD with both children and am hyper aware of controlling blood sugars now in an attempt to head off Type II, but I do not know about fenugreek.

SacreBlue Wed 08-May-13 06:55:46

Not sure if you are already on a diet or needing to be on one (in which case the PP are probably best placed to help re low carb as I haven't been on it)

If not you cold try a cup of fenugreek tea morning and evening. It is an acquired taste and can make you smell a bit like maple syrup but no one has attacked me with a pancake yet smile

I eat really well but, while I can't have big meals before work, I do need energy in work so often take biscuits or sweets for a boost clients love when I bring enough for everyone else too!.

I have no evidence whatsoever but found I feel better including a couple of cups a day, it seems to regulate the sugar levels and avoid huge crashes between work sessions.

No idea if it is just 'placebo' but it works for me and since fenugreek is so cheap it may be worth your while giving it a punt even if you have to old your nose to drink it

Footle Tue 07-May-13 22:18:26

Another vote for low carb.

Valdeeves Tue 07-May-13 21:58:17

Try a low carb diet - it works wonders!

nomadwantshome Tue 07-May-13 21:09:18

sorry brain in fuzz. Ive had a couple of blood tests. One showed slightly high blood sugar (non fasting) and one normal (fasting). That was a while ago

SacreBlue Tue 07-May-13 21:05:06

You could try fenugreek but honestly if you are that worried why not book in for some tests? NHS GPs sometimes have diabetic clinics if you are UK based.

nomadwantshome Tue 07-May-13 21:02:38

I have long suspected blood sugar levels are a bit awry. Today has been quite bad. Jittery, needing to eat and eat again. I can get very irritable, wiped out, shakey, panicky in no particular order. It can be if i'm hungry or if iv'e just eaten. I can also feel wiped out shortly or some time after eating.

Im beyond thinkign atm so might not be compus mentis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now