Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tonsillitis hell!

(5 Posts)

i had this last week it took two days for the pen to kick in effectively and i bunched them up as close as i could waking in middle of night to dose . i also found ibuprofen helped more for pain . i went through a period of eighteen months were i got it every two months them i didn't get it for tsix years till last week! rest easy smile

sunlightonthegrass Mon 06-May-13 13:27:28

I would personally be inclined not to go to work to be honest. I think tonsillitis is seen as so 'common' we forget it can be very serious indeed (it nearly killed me once!) The main thing is to try to keep hydrated, which I know can be difficult or in advanced stages impossible.

Hope you feel better soon x

Metalhead Mon 06-May-13 09:47:17

Thanks. I think I might be feeling a teeny tiny bit better today, but not getting my hopes up yet as I thought that yesterday morning too and then it all went downhill again... fingers crossed though that I'm finally on the up now.

shallweshop Sun 05-May-13 22:25:26

Well normally antibiotics take 24 hours to kick in and start making you feel a bit better. If you still don't feel any better by tomorrow, I would ring out of hours Dr as you might need some stronger/different antibiotics. Only you know how you will feel about going to work on Tuesday. It's unlikely that you will be particularly contagious but if you feel like shit, I would stay off. Hope you feel better soon.

Metalhead Sun 05-May-13 22:16:06

I went to GP on Fri after having a crippling headache and sore throat all day Thu, she diagnosed tonsillitis and gave me some penicillin which I've been taking since Fri.

However, I still don't feel any better. Swallowing is still painful, I'm going from shivering to boiling hot during the night, my throat is still covered in pus and I'm feeling sick from all the painkillers and antibiotics I'm taking.

My main concern is going back to work on Tue - how likely is it that I'm going to feel significantly better by then? And if I'm not should I take time off, or just grit my teeth and get on with it? (I don't think I'd be much use to anyone like this tbh but at the same time would really leave my colleagues in the lurch as we're short staffed anyway).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now