Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Arthritis and exercise?

(18 Posts)
Icantstopeatinglol Sun 05-May-13 20:53:51

Just after some advice really as just been diagnosed with psa and although the consultant has told me diet and exercise haven't been proven to make a difference as its to do with my immune system I still feel it will help.
What sort of exercise do any of you with arthritis do that you think helps?

Minimammoth Sun 05-May-13 21:02:19

What does psa stand for? I work in the field of Excercise and fitness. My understanding is that if the joint is inflamed you would not work it hard. If it is stable then you will need to move it to keep the muscles strong to support the joint. Yoga Therapy would probably be good as it would be designed for you.

MarcelineTheVampireQueen Sun 05-May-13 21:07:46

Yoga tai chi swimming and walking will be the best thing for you. The worst exercise you can do is none. There is no such thing as an arthritis diet, that is many people claim cutting out gluten or acidic or dairy food triggers a flare but there has been no clinical trial to prove this. The closet thing is a trial commissioned by arthritis uk in relation to supplements that have been proven to help. You can find this on their website.

Have ra since age of 4 and run self management courses so an well versed if you have any questions!

Icantstopeatinglol Sun 05-May-13 21:46:16

Psa is psoriatic arthritis, I think that's the abbreviation for it?

Icantstopeatinglol Sun 05-May-13 21:49:27

Thanks marceline! I'm definately starting yoga and swimming as my feet are bad at the minute so trying to find things I can do. I've signed up for a 'barre concept' class too which is yoga/ballet, do you think that would be ok?

MarcelineTheVampireQueen Sun 05-May-13 23:12:26

don't know to be honest, it looks pretty high impact to me. Could you contact the instructor perhaps and check? Low impact flexibility, strengthening exercises as well as a fat burning regime if you are holding weight would be good. What do you do at the mo?

Devora Sun 05-May-13 23:15:37

I've got osteo arthritis, and my physio has recommended pilates and swimming.

Icantstopeatinglol Sun 05-May-13 23:55:51

I've emailed the studio already and filled out a health questionnaire. They don't let you join the classes until you've completed the 2hr beginners class cos think they like to know you know what you're doing etc so think I'll spk to them more before that.
I'm not doing much at the minute cos only got diagnosed Saturday, before that they said it was enthesopathy so was trying to work with physio to strengthen my achilles (which was my first problem area) but now I'm having problems with hands and one of my toes has swollen up along with achilles tendonitis in the other foot I'm struggling at the minute. I've got a dd (2) and ds (5) so finding it hard to get a good exercise plan but after this diagnosis I have to cos I need to be able to get on with everyday life as normal as possible.
I'm going to give aquafit a go too. I tried cycling last wk but my hips hurt quite a bit after so might need to build my fitness up before cycling again.
Sorry for the rambling, thinking and typing don't work well together at times! smile

Devora Sun 05-May-13 23:59:55

All sympathies, it's quite a challenge learning how to manage arthritis when you have small children. I have it in my knees, hips, spine and fingers - but worst on the hip where I carried two children around for far too long. And trying to find time for exercise classes is almost impossible (I work FT, with a long commute). I'm not suprised cycling hurt - I would think that would be quite difficult with any kind of arthritis.

Icantstopeatinglol Mon 06-May-13 00:06:53

Thanks devora, I think in quite lucky as its been picked up fairly early and rheumatologist says I have full movement in my joints (just some hurt a lot due to inflammation!). It was my 'sausage' toe that brought things to a head, caught me off guard and I was quite shocked! Made me realise how bad things could potentially get if I don't try and get on top of things. My feet are the worst as I have bad achilles tendonitis in one heel and the swollen toe and ball of foot on the other....makes me look like a little old lady at times and I'm only 35!
My neck/back hurts a lot but it could be worse.....there's always someone worse off as they say!
I'm waiting to see gp this week as there starting me on sulfasalazine, see if that helps. I'm already taking Lodine which has helped a bit.
Yoga tomorrow I think! Start as I mean to go on! smile

sashh Mon 06-May-13 04:01:03

Swimming.

If you can get some hydrotherapy sessions the physio can give you exercises to do in the pool.

And for your hands, learn BSL. It really does help with arthritis in the hands - well my experience anyway.

Take you joints through a full motion everyday.

I didn't get on with sulfasalazine but I know many who have so good luck with that and don't be surprised if you start peeing bright orange urine.

Minimammoth Mon 06-May-13 04:21:08

I hope all goes well at your class. The yoga ballet sound as if it may be a little too much on the joints but you will soon know if it suits you. Choose a gentle style of yoga not Ashtanga.

Icantstopeatinglol Mon 06-May-13 07:00:55

Sashh, what's back? Think exercise is going to be trial and error but I'll definately tell the instructor about my problems so they can help too.
Thanks ladies smile

Icantstopeatinglol Mon 06-May-13 07:01:43

Sorry predictive flippin text!....should say 'sashh, what's bsl?' smile

takeaway2 Mon 06-May-13 07:21:17

Bsl is British sign language. smile

Icantstopeatinglol Mon 06-May-13 07:36:37

Ah ok, actually always fancied learning bsl! Might be a good reason to now! smile

bigfatfeet Mon 06-May-13 09:36:20

I have RA and my rheumatologist has always said that cross trainers are good as they are low impact and support your joints. I've been doing that plus cycling and walking up hills on the treadmill and it's definitely helping - I'm much fitter now than I was before I got diagnosed (it helps that I'm on methotrexate so have had to cut back on the booze).

Icantstopeatinglol Mon 06-May-13 09:59:36

Thanks bigfatfeet, love your name ha! Might change mine to 'bigfattoe!'
Think I need to build up my fitness a bit before I start cycling, hopefully only a few wks or so. Thank you though, that's what I'm hoping to achieve, to be fitter than before as I need to do something asap as I feel like when I'm doing nothing I seize up straight away! Not good.
Swimming and Pilates I think to start with then add in cycling in a few wks.....fingers (painfully) crossed it works ha! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now