Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Just out of hospital. This is all normal right?

(11 Posts)
Limelight Sun 05-May-13 19:17:58

So I ended up being admitted on Weds after presenting at A&E with a stonkingly high temp, frequent attacks of the chills, dizziness, and nausea. My GP sent me having prescribed a couple is rounds of ABs which weren't doing anything.

It was all a bit of a shock really.

I've subsequently been in hospital until late last night when they discharged me. Dr said I've had an infection of unknown origin which has responded to IV antibiotics etc. My temp has come down etc and symptoms lessened.

They kept me in for a bit longer because I was 'neutropenic' and 'pancytopenic' which I think has something to do with my white blood cells? I have to go to my GP for further blood tests in a couple of weeks anyway.

So I'm home but just so tired and still in bed. Am I alright? I feel better than I did but I feel like I've been ill for so long. I guess I thought I'd be 'better' once I got home from hospital.

Any thoughts gratefully received including pull yourself together! wink

gingeroots Sun 05-May-13 20:09:02

Definitely don't be thinking you need to pull yourself together .

An infection that was so bad that you had to have IV antibiotics sounds awful .

I imagine it's no surprise you still feel shocking ,your body is still fighting the infection . And actually AB's can make you feel a bit ill .

I'd get some good probiotic supplements to help your tummy get over all the AB's you've had ,drink loads of fluids and rest up .

I hope you've someone there to pamper you .

Have a bunch of flowers and get well soon .

ozymandiusking Sun 05-May-13 20:38:17

Hi, I do hope you are feeling better soon. You really must rest as much as possible. When you are feeling up to it make an app. with your GP and talk to him about the blood test results, may be have a result blood test.

Limelight Sun 05-May-13 20:45:34

I'm sure you're right. It's amazing that as soon as I've got home I'm back into 'but I've got so much to do' mode.

My DH has been positively heroic and is keeping everything going including the DC. I guess I just need to be a bit kinder to myself. I think I'm probably going to work from home this week at the very least.

I just feel like I've been ill for so long. I had 2 weeks of keeping going, five days in bed at home, four days in hospital, and now I'm back in bed again.

I'm being impatient clearly!

EnlightenedOwl Sun 05-May-13 22:35:38

Neutropenia - low neutrophils
very likely a response to the infection

Limelight Mon 06-May-13 14:30:21

Thanks owl. Very tired again today. Trying to just give into it and not feel like I should be up and changing the world!

illmum Tue 07-May-13 07:37:18

Infections can be very serious. I had major surgery in September for a rare illness which caused peritonitis I had to have my stomach completely cleared out and drains put in for a week. Iv been in and out of hospital with bad infections and everytime I have been so ill.
Try and take it easy you will be tired as your body works hard to fight infection. 8 months on and I'm still on long term antibiotics and I'm tired all the time but it does get a bit easier the more you heal.
Listen to your body and rest when you can so your body can fight this

digerd Tue 07-May-13 09:55:14

It will take time at least a week/2 weeks, for your body to recover from having had a raging fever. Do NOT ignore your body's warning signs, and DO take it easy until you feel back to normal.
Fevers, especially prolonged ones, are seriously debilitating and it takes time for your body to recuperate.

Look after yourself.

Limelight Sun 12-May-13 18:55:04

And a week later I'm still a bit up and down. I felt pretty good on Friday, ok yesterday, and shocking today.

No temp though and just feeling very very tired. I suspect worrying all the time that I should feel better than this isn't helping.

Had a very useful trip to the GPs on Thurs who's signed me off work for another two weeks. I guess I should take that as a hint!

specialsubject Sun 12-May-13 19:05:49

indeed! Remember you were ill a lot longer than you were in hospital, and it sounds like you really were quite ill.

take those two weeks as REST time - do the minimum.

get well soon.

Limelight Sun 12-May-13 21:04:16

I'm being a complete PITA because I won't give into it. My poor DH just said to me that it would be a lot easier if I just stopped trying to be ok and went to bed!

Having said that I'm at home alone with DD tomorrow (we're out of childcare favours) so am going to have to get on with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now