Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can anyone tell me what this means please? High Sensitivity C-Reactive Protein reading of 4.45 mg/l.

(4 Posts)
Smartieaddict Sun 05-May-13 15:50:36

Thanks for that. I've had a look at the link and feel a bit better now. I don't have most of the other risk factors. My weight is at the top of healthy range, blood pressure is normal. I do exercise, although not a huge amount. Never smoked, and no family history of heart disease or stroke. My diet could be better though. I would like to know what has caused it though, maybe a trip to the GP will shed some light.

Ginformation Sun 05-May-13 15:38:42
Ginformation Sun 05-May-13 15:35:21

hs-CRP is used along with other factors to establish cardiovascular (CV)risk. CRP is an inflammatory marker, and research has shown that having a long term low level of inflammation can increase your risk of stroke/heart attack in the future. It is not used to calculate risk in isolation but alongside cholesterol, family history, BMI, smoking history, BP etc etc.

CRP is not a specific test, lots of things can raise it- if you have any inflammatory process going on (any infection, trauma- bruise or cuts, arthritis, etc) then it can be high.

Don't panic, it may be sensible to repeat the test in a month or so to see if it was a one off. It may be a good idea to speak to your GP surgery to see if they offer appointments with a health trainer or similar about reducing your CV risk factors.

Smartieaddict Sun 05-May-13 15:22:08

I recently went for a private health check through work, and have just had the results back. Apart from very slightly high cholesterol everything was within the normal range, apart from the above. I have tried googling, and managed to scare myself. So is there anyone with any medical knowledge who can tell me what this is likely to mean, and if I need to see my GP about it, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now