Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Monitoring of breast lump - should I be getting some?

(11 Posts)
abigboydidit Sun 05-May-13 13:00:49

Hi,

In brief I am 36 years old and in December 2011 discovered a breast lump. I was still breastfeeding DS, so had a lot of difficulties getting it assessed as the mammogram wouldn't work etc. In the end I got a core gun biopsy and was told that it was a "non-malignant thing". No follow up was offered.

I am now feeding DD & am aware that the lump is still there and is getting much larger. I mentioned this to my GP at my 6 week check up but she simply assured me (without examining me) there was nothing to worry about and that I wouldn't need to go back to the clinic.

I can't help but worry that I have this thing growing and no idea what it is. Is it normal to get no follow up or monitoring fora breast lump? Any experiences or advice would be welcomed. Many thanks.

cravingcake Sun 05-May-13 13:09:12

As far as I'm aware you don't get follow ups for breast lumps in the same way as you would for say smear tests. I've never been offered any sort of follow up after finding new lumps. However, you are aware of the changes in your body so you can always go back whenever you notice a change.

I have always had lots of lumps, all have been cysts or I think the last one I had checked was something like fibrocystic adenoma (sp?) which is non-malignant.

As a very general idea, if the lump is uniform shape i.e. very round like a pea and doesn't hurt it could be something more sinister. If it is tender to touch, or irregular shape then its more likely to be a cyst. However, all new bumps should be checked. I'm not medical in any way, this is just from what I was told.

hellymelly Sun 05-May-13 13:11:26

Sounds like rubbish treatment, poor you. I had two lumps while bf, one was a milk cyst, the other a fatty lump, probably caused by a knock to the breast. Each time i paid to have an ultrasound with a consultant, it was about £150, maybe slightly less, i was seen within a weeek, and he talked me through just what he could see and kept records of the images to monitor any changes if I ever need to see him again. Your GP can write a referral and then you can call and book a private appointment. Honestly it was really worth the expense to be able to stop worrying. My GP had each time felt the lumps and said he didn't think they were worrying, but I would have gone spare waiting weeks to be seen.

abigboydidit Sun 05-May-13 13:23:58

Thanks for the replies. The GP told me smooth was good and rough or irregular I should worry about! It's pretty big. Larger than a cherry tomato but not as big as a golf ball. Pretty round and regular in shape.

hellymelly Sun 05-May-13 13:40:03

My cyst felt round and regular, does it hurt at all?

abigboydidit Sun 05-May-13 16:40:03

Hard to tell as I've been either breast feeding &/or pregnant s

abigboydidit Sun 05-May-13 16:44:53

Whoops. Typing on phone.. Or pregnant since I found it is what I meant to say. So the area hurts as my breast fills with milk and I feel generally a achey but I wouldn't say it hurts if I prod it. I sometimes get what I would describe as a deep ache between my shoulder blade and my breast, which I have always assumed is related.

malteserzz Sun 05-May-13 17:10:20

I'd go and get it checked out properly just for peace of mind

abigboydidit Sun 05-May-13 18:17:54

Thanks. You're right as it is worrying me. Just not looking forward to the inevitable battlehmm

hellymelly Sun 05-May-13 19:59:12

Well if you can scrape together the cash for a private ultrasound then all you need to do is ask your GP to write the referral. He/she won't argue, it is your money after all. Also if there is a size change then it needs seeing, and it will mean peace of mind for you.

LaFlotte Sun 05-May-13 20:05:16

I was also told that round and smooth was good. I think that the core biopsy results give plenty of peace of mind but you should go back and get a referral as even though it is not malignant it could be a cyst that needs draining and it might become uncomfortable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now