Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

how easy is it to loose weight when you have a thyroid problem?

(4 Posts)
Magicmayhem Sun 05-May-13 16:54:13

thanks Lilyliz, she desprately wants to loose weight, but seems to think that it impossibe because of her thyroid problem, so therefore isn't motivated and gives up... she doesn't exercise because she's always tired.. my friend refuses to come on a dog walk with me...
glad you've managed to loose weight, it sounds like you've been sensible with your eating and taking exercise...

lilyliz Sun 05-May-13 16:41:39

I have managed to lose 1 whole stone but has taken months,I cut out all crap(love crisps) and eat three meals per day with lots of veg and small amounts of meat and potatoes,have a yogurt or fruit for a snack instead of biccies.It also helped that my GP was willing to up my thyroxine by 25mg a day with one months monitoring for any adverse symptoms(had none).Also started walking elderly neighbours dog for her so that has helped too.Good luck to your friend it is not easy and I gave up a few years ago being disheartened at being thrown out of weight watchers for not losing enough ,it was a couple of ounces per week therefore I must have been cheating,silly woman had no idea about thyroids and weight loss.

Magicmayhem Sun 05-May-13 14:31:52

quick bump, as my friends coming round later and I could do with some positive stories to motivate her...

Magicmayhem Sun 05-May-13 11:01:15

I have a friend why is taking thyroxine and her levels are under control. She wants to loose weight, but can't seem to muster the enthusiasm to exercise, I understand this could be part of the thyroid problem, so can anyone educate me on thyroid problems and stop her moaning about it help suport her TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now