Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

swolen legs after having baby?

(8 Posts)
iamnowawhaticallmother Sat 04-May-13 15:30:22

I had my baby 9 wks ago & had epidural and a c section in the end. My legs ballooned ridiculously afterwards & i had to wear those flight tights.

9 weeks on i am certain my legs are not entirely back to normal. They feel swolen to me. Especially the right one. if i kneel back on my ankles it doesnt feel normal.

Is there anything i can do to get my legs back to normal? reduce swelling.

neverlateforwork Sat 04-May-13 15:32:32

Movement and elevation.

That 'I have someone else's legs' swelling post-birth is something you are never warned about!

It's always great to finally get rid of pg fluid retention!

I had this. Worse than during pg.

I was sent for a DVT scan by dr, which came back clear.

In the end when I stopped bf I went back to normal over about 5 days. I literally spent those 5 days on the toilet peeing out the excess fluid.

My lymphatic system hasn't been the same since. I get very swollen ankles in hot weather.

iamnowawhaticallmother Sat 04-May-13 15:36:42

thanks both. I stopped breastfeeding at 7 weeks. I have been doing lots of walking but they feel horrible. Feel like i need to stick a pin in my ankle to release pressure if you know what I mean. Can anyone recommend any medication or remedies?

DuffyDuck Sun 05-May-13 11:29:24

Lymphatic massage? Drinking coconut water, eating bananas, drinking cranberry juice? Potassium is supposed to help with fluid retention...

iamnowawhaticallmother Mon 06-May-13 07:18:13

Thank you Daffy

IndigoBarbie Fri 10-May-13 15:23:37

Reflexology can help, I had severe whole body water retention after mine and it just took a long long time sad xxx

Kasterborous Fri 10-May-13 21:16:31

I remember being like this I eventually weed and sweated it out. I would wake up in the middle of the night drenched with sweat and cold because I sweated so much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now