Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ovarian Cancer - DMIL diagnosed yesterday

(10 Posts)
LaFlotte Sat 04-May-13 07:54:18

Hi, my DMIL has had what we thought was a nasty chest infection for weeks. After antibiotics, chest xrays etc some fluid was drained and tested.

Yesterday she was told this fluid is coming from her ovaries. She has been told to cancel her July holiday as treatment will include surgery, chemo and radio. CT Scan booked for Tuesday.

From what I have read, this sounds like stage iv if it's in the fluid around the lungs.

Can anyone give me an idea of what's ahead? We live in a different country so very hard and we don't know what to do to help. Any ideas much appreciated.

Can anyone shed any light on the prognosis? The consultant she saw yesterday was the lung guy so he delivered the bad news but its not his area really.

Thanks in advance.

LaFlotte Sat 04-May-13 10:35:28

Bump... Sorry have googled and am becoming increasingly aware of how bad the situation could be.

Does anyone have anything they can share?

Thanks so much

TanteRose Sat 04-May-13 10:41:13

I'm so sorry to hear about your MIL

Hoping someone has a good experience re: prognosis

Sadly, I have no positive stories of ovarian/lung cancer sad

gingeroots Sat 04-May-13 10:43:45

LaFlotte .I'm so sorryyou're going through this and are seperated by being in another country .

Try asking over here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/1741918--TAMOXIFEN-35-the-all-dancing-fat-boy-snacking-and-drugs-thread?pg=22

They will have all the information /advice and hand holding you could ever need .
The thread does deal a lot with breast cancer but also includes others .

One of the chief pieces of which is that treatment improves/gets cleverer all the time . Very fast moving .
And that anything you read on google is out of date and of necessity based on stats that are several years old and which don't reflect the current situation .

Keep strong .

Sh1ney Sat 04-May-13 14:19:39

Sorry to read this.

My mother made a full recovery from ovarian cancer almost 5 years ago now although it was contained to the pelvic region. She did have chemo though.

Don't google: it doesn't take into account individuals and how they react to treatment. My father for example , has terminal kidney cancer. He's over 2 years past diagnosis and is currently gardening, after just returning from a holiday. He drives , cooks, same as usual. And it's in his kidney, adrenal gland, lymph nodes ...

Stay positive and take each day as it comes

LaFlotte Sat 04-May-13 23:04:02

Thank you so much for replying. We've been out all afternoon/evening so only just got the chance to check.

I will check out the tamoxifen thread, thank you for the suggestion, very kind.

Sh1ney thank you for sharing your experiences. That is great to hear about your Mum and it sounds like your Dad is living life to the full! Long may that continue x

Ginger - that is good to know about the treatment and the internet. Dr Google is frightening but it makes sense that the info is mostly out of date.

We will see what next week brings and take it one step at a time. I am just so sad that my wonderful, sweet, caring DMiL is going through this.

Thanks again x

digerd Sun 05-May-13 06:57:36

Ovarian cancer symptoms are usually a swollen tummy looking like 6 months pregnant. I know 2 women who have had this and survived and had the fluid drained from their tummy area.

She will be having a scan of her ovaries to confirm the diagnosis, I assume? Not heard of the fluid being in the chest and not where the ovaries are, which is the lower part of the body.

Good luck for your DM

LaFlotte Sun 05-May-13 09:24:18

Thanks you Digerd for your message that is good to hear about your friends who have survived.

That is exactly what I thought about the symptoms and DMIL says she has not had that at all. However the fluid that was drowned from around her lungs tested positive for ovarian cancer cells indicating it has spread out with the abdominal area.

She is having a CT scan but I don't know if she will get more info at that appointment or if she will have to wait for the results of that before finding out more.

Thanks again x

Sh1ney Sun 05-May-13 10:10:22

I would say that ovarian cancer symptoms are actually far more subtle than a swollen tummy. Heartburn, indigestion, need to wee a lot.. these are the symptoms that are often dismissed as something else.

Anyway, it sounds like she does have ovarian cancer from all you describe. After the CT scan she will see the consultant within a fortnight or so to discuss the findings and the course of treatment.

Fingers crossed for her.

LaFlotte Sun 05-May-13 16:38:44

To be honest she's never been the best eater and I can totally imagine her dismissing these symptoms, even though she seems sure she has not had them.

Time will tell, but it will be a long couple of weeks for her to wait for a treatment plan. She has a lot of support which is a good thing, although she is used to being the one doing the supporting...

Thanks everyone xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now