Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Thyroid test results back - what do you think?

(13 Posts)
fivecupsoftea Fri 03-May-13 20:07:54

T4 - 12.9
Tsh - 1.49

B12 454
Ferritin 18.8

The receptionist gave my results and said, all normal, no further action needed, she huffed a bit when I asked for the figures. I was thinking of supplementing with iron and b12 as the seem a bit low. I've googled and see that the tsh sounds good. I haven't found anything that has explained whether the t4 is good.

My symptoms are I'm always cold, I think I have mental slowing and memory and concentration problems ( I'm 43), I have painful cramps, pins and needles, heart rate is about 42, I exercise a lot, but feel I have low muscle tone despite it, I used to feel tired all the time, but feel better since I gave up milk, I've lost the outer third of my eyebrows.

I was wondering about asking for a referral to a private endocrinologist. Could I have Hashimotos or just a mild thyroid problem, or a problem that the tests haven't shown up?

frazzledbutcalm Fri 03-May-13 20:54:44

All those results seem fine. I've just seen an endocrinologist with dd (aged 9). He explained that your thyroid levels can fluctuate so even if they're a bit high, it's fine and usually goes back down again.
He stressed that tiredness etc is not necessarily down to thyroid problems. Even though dd levels are up, he doesn't believe they're up high enough to cause tiredness etc.
I'm convinced I have thyroid problems as I have MANY thyroid symptoms, but mine have been checked twice and I'm fine!
I think sometimes we want a reason for feeling the way we do, but there's not always a reason ...

smile

RockinD Fri 03-May-13 22:58:34

You've not given any lab ranges, which muddies the waters a bit, but based on the ranges we use where I live in the UK:

B12 needs to be over 500 at least and preferably up to the top of the lab range - sublinguals are best, 1,000mcg a day should do it. Buy on line - Jarrow is a good brand.

Ferritin is appallingly low - this level will give you all sorts of symptoms and it is frightening that yet another doctor does not realise this is a problem, despite all the published research. You will need serious supplements (ie not Spatone) and you need to aim for a level of at least 70 and preferably 90.

TSH looks 'normal', but FT4 looks suspiciously low. Our range here is 9-26. You should check your local range and see where your result falls

If TSH is below 2 and TSH is in the bottom third of the range then something is amiss and your GP should be checking your FT3 and your antibodies to find out what is really going on.

You need to test TPO and TgAB antibodies to see if you have auto-immune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's)

You appear to have classic symptoms and I am sure you do not feel as if this is 'mild', but you will be surprised how much better you will feel if you fix that ferritin level for starters.

Will your GP test vitamin D as well? You are probably deficient in that as well. It's a standard part of the pattern.

After my experiences, which lead me to give the advice in this post, I would advice anyone never to accept that a blood test result is 'normal'. It's not whether it comes up within the reference range, it is whether it is optimal/right for you.

wileycoyote Fri 03-May-13 23:21:02

i would second taking Iron supplement. I feel awful when my levels of ferritin are low.

probaby shouldn't but I have to admit I'm not averse to a bit of DIY tweaking of the thyroxine dose either. try breaking a 25ug in half and taking that every day on top of what you already take for a week or so and see if you feel better? worked for me!

wileycoyote Fri 03-May-13 23:27:25

my TSH is about 0.05 now and t4 is 18, and i feel great.

digerd Sat 04-May-13 07:29:41

I was very overactive in my 20s, but I eventually became very weak and breathless. The partial op cured that.
A couple of decades later, I became slightly underactive, but did not notice any symptoms. I was put on 50mcs of Thyroxine, which I have been on since 1996.

My last Thyroid test showed TSH 4.8, but don't know the T4, and I don't have the B12 and Ferritin tested.
DR said all OK for my <advanced> age and other ageing problems confused

topsi Sat 04-May-13 08:14:23

RockinD great advice as usual.
I had my Vit D tested recently and found out I was very low so am supplementing
Also had my DHEA tested which was lowish as well so have been recommended supplements (not bu an NHS Dr though)
It is always worth digging a little deeper and asking questions not just what your GP regards as 'normal'

fivecupsoftea Sun 05-May-13 19:43:21

Hi, thanks for your replies, Rockin D you said I haven't given lab ranges - I'm not exactly sure what 'lab ranges' are - is that what is considered to be normal? It seems to vary from country to country what the official opinion is, I'm guessing that in England this relates to rationing of treatment. Thanks for the advice about taking iron, I have ordered some and vitamin B12. Wileycote, I'm not actually on any thyoid medication, so cannot adjust it! I had my vitamin D checked in December, it as a bit low, I've been supplementing and felt better this winter than I have the previous 5 or so winters, I feel an idiot for not supplementing before.

catslave Mon 06-May-13 21:16:23

topsi - has it sorted you out, or do you have more random symptoms? It just rings alarm bells that you have low thyroid AND dhea - suggests possible pituitary problem...

5cups hope things are improving for you. Thyroid UK have some good info

RockinD found your post v helpful. Could you recommend a good ferritin supplement as the spatone is the only one I really know of! Thanks.

topsi Tue 07-May-13 08:21:39

Catslave, probably too early to tell if I feel better, it could just be the weather. I have not been diagnosed with Thyroid problems. My TSH was 2.96 at one point and a private Dr told me it was 'creaping up' but GP said 'normal'

RockinD Tue 07-May-13 11:20:26

I am taking this www.cytoplan.co.uk/Wholefood-Iron-3312/ and it seems to be working for me (ie raising my levels without giving me explosive diarrhoea!). However, someone has recently pointed out that it is made from broccoli and might therefore be contra-indicated for someone with thyroid issues. I am persevering on the basis that the goitregen in the broccoli is probably inactive after processing.

Reference ranges. When you get a lab result, you should get two other figures, which are the reference range. This enables you to see where your result falls in relation to the range.

The received wisdom is that TSH in a healthy person should be around 1. Really, if it’s creeping up, someone should be asking why and trying to arrest the creep before it becomes a real problem.

Thanks RockinD!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now