Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Suspected RA diagnoses, talk to me what life is like with arthritis

(103 Posts)
2fedup Thu 02-May-13 21:14:01

After having issues with my hands and knees for some time and no RA markers in blood tests, they have decided I do, on balance, have RA. It's a bit scary and I've stopped looking at doctor google as that really doesn't help.shock
Off to see the consultant next week and want to know how life goes on. I'm hoping medication will help, but bad flare ups are currently quite a scary thought.

candycoatedwaterdrops Sun 06-Oct-13 19:55:23

Anti-inflammatories have never really touched my swelling and I think (but couldn't be sure) that they generally don't do much for this type swelling or else rheumatologists would use them instead of stronger drugs. I find celebrex (the only anti-inflammatory I've ever been on) eases my pain a little but nothing else.

There was a campaign called the S factor. The signs of early inflammatory arthritis are the swelling (persistent in joints), stiffness (early morning that lasts more than 30 mins) and squeezing (does it hurt when squeezed).

RA does tend to be bilateral but not always. When they say bilateral, they include the swelling and stiffness as well as the pain. I wouldn't stress too much wrt to being bilaterally affected. I am affected on both sides but my pain is worse on my right side, probably because I'm right handed and use it more.

I have been diagnosed and undiagnosed with RA more times than you can shake a stick at. Sometimes they call it RA, sometimes they say I have an unspecified inflammatory autoimmune disease. I have no rheumatoid factor in my blood but my ESR is always very high and my CRP is usually slightly high. They are treating me as RA in order to get me access to the anti-TNF drugs with more ease. I am fitting the NICE criteria to get the drugs, so I assume it is RA but at this point, I don't care what it's called, I would just like to be able to walk without crutches again!

OHforDUCKScake Sun 06-Oct-13 21:31:12

I get stiffness for about an hour in the morning, and it flipping hurts to touch never mind squeeze.

Although, when the painkillers are working, it doesnt hurt when touched. In fact I just squeezed then and its not painful.

I tried to not take the Naproxen today and I lasted til 2pm before the pain was too bad.

Who knew the reason for joint pain could be so complex hmm.

It is arthritis awareness week this week
i've started a thread in chat, if anyone wants to contribute? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now