Webchat with Green Party leader Natalie Bennett, TODAY at 1pm x

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can trapped wind really be this sore?

(25 Posts)
pizzaqueen Fri 19-Apr-13 06:45:46

I've had really bad constant pain the top of my stomach / under my ribs for a few days now. It's really sore and uncomfortable. It's a constant ache. It's worst morning/night but comes on throughout the day.

I had no idea what it could be (I've had it before and the doc dismissed as constipation but I know it's not). A friend suggested trapped wind. But can trapped wind really be this painful? My stomach does feel quite bloated.

Any remedies for trapped wind in adults?

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Fri 19-Apr-13 06:52:18

DH was in hospital with a DVT when he suffered what he thought could be a heart attack. It wasn't, it was trapped wind. The docs said it could be extremely painful (DH isn't the sort who dies every time he's unwell, he seldom complains). Remedies? Not sure, sorry but hope you find relief soon.

Dolallytats Fri 19-Apr-13 08:16:06

Drinking plain boiled water can help if you have trapped wind. I remember another thread on here a little while ago about it and I think Gripe water was also mentioned. Hope you recover soon, trapped wind can be really painful.

gymboywalton Fri 19-Apr-13 08:19:35

does it go through to your back? is it on the right side at all?

if o , it could be your gallbladder.

OR it could be a hiatus hernia

digerd Fri 19-Apr-13 13:47:30

Trapped wind can be very painful, but have never known it myself to last more than 24 hours.

I would insist on other tests, especially as your tummy is quite bloated.

pizzaqueen Fri 19-Apr-13 17:03:14

Thanks everyone. The pain has come and gone all day today. Been for a big walk which I think helped a bit as I've been feeling so sluggish with it.

It's just the front of my stomach and under my ribs so pretty sure it's not gallbladder or appendix. If its not gone by Monday I will go back to the GP.

KatoPotato Fri 19-Apr-13 17:03:58

Dispersable co-codamol is great for trapped wind pain!

hedgefund Fri 19-Apr-13 17:07:43

i had this the other night and i thought i had gallstones it was so painful! i looked on the web and it said to take antacid and hot water, i took some galvascon tablets and hot tea and the pain went. was absolute agony though, i nearly drove myself to a and e at one point with it sad

CrazyOldCatLady Fri 19-Apr-13 17:11:16

I've nearly fainted in the past with trapped wind, it's the most painful thing I've ever experienced (and I've given birth twice!). It never lasts more than a few hours though.

I find Rennie Deflatine helps, and very hot black coffee. When I was a teenager, my parents used to give me brandy mixed with hot water and sugar for it, which not only helped but made me a lot less bothered by the pain grin

digerd Fri 19-Apr-13 20:10:35

Do you mean it is in the middle below your ribs or behind your ribs?

CognitiveOverload Fri 19-Apr-13 20:11:22

Trapped wind is horrific. Try Windeze

Shakey1500 Fri 19-Apr-13 20:22:19

I DID go to A&E with severe pain (I could hardly stand). Though it was gall bladder or something worse. Got admitted. Turned out to be constipation blush

Had to have a an enema in the end. Apologies to anyone that happened to be in the same ward as me that day...

MooseBeTimeForSpring Fri 19-Apr-13 20:26:43

I went to the GP once with something similar. I was told it was colic. Bloody hell, no wonder babies scream!

maxpower Fri 19-Apr-13 20:28:16

Yes it can. I went to a&e with suspected PE turned out to be trapped wind.

pizzaqueen Sat 20-Apr-13 08:01:21

It's still sore, really painful. But it does seem to go for a couple of hours at a time. I'm not in doubled over cant move kind of pain but very very uncomfortable. Worst morning and last thing at night.

It's at the top of my abdomen, just below my ribs and right across. Thinking trapped wind wouldn't have gone on this long? Been for a poo (tmi) everyday so can't be constipation. Thinking maybe an ulcer?

I will call the GP Monday of not feeling better.

Ironbluemayfly Sat 20-Apr-13 08:04:22

I'd phone your out of hours.

pizzaqueen Tue 23-Apr-13 21:37:45

Just an update for you - I'm feeling much better, the bloating and pain went on Sunday and I feel normal again. Thanks for all your help and advice, I don't know what was wrong but it was flaming painful. If I get it again I'll be sure to go the GP quicker .

Khead12 Thu 06-Mar-14 13:21:51

I've had really bad stomach pains since Monday, I get this on a regular basis but nowhere near as painful as this. Any home remedies you can suggest to help get the pain away? I can hardly walk without it hurting and even in bed I can't seem to sleep or move without the pain getting even worse

Megbeth Thu 06-Mar-14 14:53:09

Peppermint tea & Windeze or Deflatine helps. I've had bloating & trapped wind last 2 days. Xmas pudding did it for me. We had a matured Xmas pudding & 20 mins after eating it I was in agony. I was so bloated & uncomfortable & took Buscopan but that did nothing. The peppermint tea did help as I had nothing else at home on Xmas day.

MoreBeta Thu 06-Mar-14 15:05:54

pizzaqueen - if it keeps returning please do press your GP for a scan of pancreas and gall bladder.

If it ever gets so bad you start vomiting and the pain goes all the way round under your right rib cage and up into your right shoulder blade that really is a gallbladder problem.

Also get them to check for a stomach ulcer.

My GP said it was a stomach bug. hmm

beckwillott13 Mon 12-May-14 23:23:03

Ive started with a pain after reading these comments im sure its trapped wind but ill be goin docs Wednesday if im still the same z

phoebeflangey Thu 15-May-14 20:35:50

Love hearts are fantastic to help bring wind up (or down!!) and taste much nicer than rennies smile

Seriously though, get it checked out.

LEMmingaround Thu 15-May-14 20:39:28

Sounds like gall bladder pain. What were you eating?

clogdle123 Fri 03-Oct-14 07:04:59

I get trapped wind when I have eaten certain foods - I find health salts are good and peppermint tea but sometimes the only way it clears is by making myself sick

LuluJakey1 Fri 03-Oct-14 07:08:23

Sounds like gall bladder pain tome, possibly affecting pancreas. Horrible pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now