Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I'm really worried now, I need to see the doctor don't I?

(25 Posts)

I've been burying my head about this for weeks and weeks now sad

I've got the following symptoms and have had them on and off for at least two months now:

All started with on and off extreme nausea, never sick, just didn't know what to do with myself.
One day I had blurred vision in my left eye to the point I could hardly see.
On and off blurred vision in both eyes.
Sharp pains in my head, and a feeling of pressure in my head.
Aching joints.
Numbness in my left arm and fingers and bizarrely behind my teeth.
Numbness in my face, when I talk I feel like my face is not moving.
Losing my balance (a lot) particularly when standing from sitting.
Feeling as if my head doesn't belong to me, hard to explain, but I just don't feel right.

I know I need to got to the docs, but I'm petrified its something serious and they will fob me off.

What do I need to say for it to be taken seriously?

What could it be?

fuzzpig Mon 15-Apr-13 20:58:09

Yes, please see a GP. Can you take somebody with you to help with assertiveness if the doctor is dismissive?

Honestly - if you list that collection of symptoms they are going to take you seriously shock

I don't know what it could be. But you do need to see a doctor, so they can find out. Tomorrow would be good.

ivehadaverybadday Mon 15-Apr-13 21:00:31

Get yourself to the GPs, you will be taken seriously. It could be something as straightforward as a migraine, some people have really extreme symptoms with those. Wishing you well smile

Elibean Mon 15-Apr-13 21:03:18

Sweetie, do go tomorrow. Take the list of symptoms you just wrote out, and hand it to the GP if necessary - or yes, take someone with you as fuzzpig suggests.

It may be nothing 'worse' than migraine, or it may be something more serious, but either way you deserve to be listened to, diagnosed and treated.

Wishing you the best of luck with both the assertiveness side of things and the outcome, and here's a cyber hand if you want one to hold smile

Bakingnovice Mon 15-Apr-13 21:04:55

Please see a gp tomorrow. I'm no dr but those symptoms sound worrying.

LadyMacbethWasMisunderstood Mon 15-Apr-13 21:07:21

De lurking to say some of the symptoms sound a bit like carbon monoxide poisoning. They can build up over time. Probably not, but please check tonight if you think that this could possibly be a cause.

In any event it sounds as though you are quite poorly. I cannot imagine a doctor will fob you off. Please get an appointment and write down in advance what you want to say.

There are many illnesses with a complex presentation that are easily treatable. After DD2 I was very anaemic and had some of your symptoms. Wishing you well.

SwishSwoshSwoosh Mon 15-Apr-13 21:08:15

I suggest you type,out the exact list you have posted, as a doctor will not fob you off with those. You need a thorough check over. Ask for an emergency appointment tomorrow IMO.

Hope they get to the bottom of it x

LadyMacbeth - My dad is a plumber and he bought me a detector when I moved into this house (rented). Thanks though.

I'll get an appointment asap and see what happens.

Phantomteadrinker Mon 15-Apr-13 21:12:37

I'd bet money on this being migraine but I think you should def go to the docs to be sure. Please try not to worry, stress may make your symptoms worse thanks

Elibean Mon 15-Apr-13 21:14:28

mummytowillow, they are also symptoms of migraine, and also of compressed nerves in your neck eg.

So please don't leap to worst case scenarios. But I hope you get that appointment very soon, not least for peace of mind smile

LadyMacbethWasMisunderstood Mon 15-Apr-13 21:15:00

Glad about that. Was worried about you.

I'm sure your GP will sort you out. Best wishes.

Fluffy101 Mon 15-Apr-13 21:17:25

I get the majority of those symptoms when I am due and during a migraine

ovechkin Mon 15-Apr-13 21:25:21

I had exactly the same from feb. thought I had a brain tumour or something to be honest, never felt so ill - kept having to lie down at work or would faint, numb face, blurred vision, headache, i was confusing my words, felt dizzy on and off. Honestly, never felt so ill. Went to docs 3 times on march as it just wasn't getting better and I thought I was dying! Anyway, he said most likely viral and ha e me anti sickness and nausea drugs which helped a bit but still felt very odd. Really strange feeling. Doc also did full bloods which showed nothing.
Finally now it seems to be going - a good 8 weeks later. I've also found out about 2 other people locally who've had something similar - both had paramedics out as they actually fainted, one in the shower and one at work. Seems there's some really nasty viruses around.
Wanted to post as the symptoms are so similar and I genuinely felt like I wouldn't wake up one morning!

LuckyLuckyMe Mon 15-Apr-13 21:28:22

Sounds a bit like labrynthitis or migraine. Definitely GP in the morning.
Hope you feel better soon.

To be taken seriously, just print off your OP and wave it at the GP. That is one hefty load of symptoms.

Let's hope it is something relatively straightforward, but please come back and let us know...it sounds quite extraordinary

jamtoast12 Mon 15-Apr-13 21:44:54

Sounds viral I had similar a few years ago, lasted couple of months. Balance affected it in your ears etc. as it ear, nose eyes etc I'd say viral as all very vague but best see dr to check.

Lucyellensmum95 Mon 15-Apr-13 21:49:23

My money is on migraine - do get this checked out though. Try not to worry x

ZZZenagain Mon 15-Apr-13 21:50:23

I don't know what it could be, but go. Try not to be scared, it might be a smaller issue than you think but it does need to be diagnosed and tackled.

gingeroots Tue 16-Apr-13 06:04:44

How did it go OP ?

Hope your GP was helpful ?

stewartlaura67 Tue 16-Apr-13 07:04:14

You should get to the GP at the earliest.

bonnieslilsister Tue 16-Apr-13 09:54:58

How are you op?

culturemulcher Thu 18-Apr-13 18:05:44

OP hope everything's okay. Report back if you get chance.

toffeelolly Thu 18-Apr-13 23:30:07

Good luck.

I'm back believe it or not I've felt kuch better. I have the mirena coil and think it was that, I had to have hysteroscopy today to get it out as it had gone missing.

If I feel any worse I'll get to doctors, thanks for all your kind words. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now