Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

So how many people are actually aware of the details of the new ESA?

(132 Posts)
CrapBag Mon 15-Apr-13 20:47:33

I have been on Incapacity benefit for a number of years now, for having M.E./CFS and not being able to work. I have just been assessed for the new ESA and have received a letter telling me that I have been placed in the work related activity group and I am expected to attend interviews etc with them looking at getting me back to work. I wrote to tell them I disagree with the decison, they haven't changed it so I need to formally appeal.

I phoned the DWP today to ask them why they have put me in the WRAG as I am not fit for work. She then told me that they have found me unfit for work based on my form and they agreed that I could not work. confused The letter doesn't actually state this.

The bit that really got me was when she said that they could come up with a cure in 2 years time so you can only get ESA in the WRAG for 365 days. Only people with terminal illness go into the support group (according to her). Yes there could be a cure, it could be 10 years away but you can only claim this benefit for 1 year, even though they agree that I am unfit for work. In 1 year my money will stop. She said I may be able to get the income related ESA but I said we don't qualify as my DH has a full time job. She said the government say that you don't need any more money after this. I actually laughed and said that my DHs wages don't cover our outgoings as its not a great paid job (not minimum wage, but by no means a good income). She didn't care obviously.

She said they have passed a new law that means you can only claim ESA for 1 year. But they do agree I am unfit for work, but I still have to attend interviews with a view to looking at returning to work!!!

So for everyone who thinks the government are doing the right thing. No they are bloody not!! A blind person isn't terminally ill, so do they not qualify? People with things like Parkinsons, MS are not terminally ill. Do they only qualify for 1 year as well?

I am so angry right now. angry angry

JackieOHHH Mon 29-Apr-13 20:26:55

You can request the dwp send you copies of what they've got...
When I've applied for anything I've photo copied everything I've sent them, as they are renowned for losing forms.
I'd request it if I were you, ring them and ask for a copy of your form, it's also invaluable for when you re -apply or renew as you can see what you've written previously.

ItsYoniYappy Tue 30-Apr-13 08:12:28

I was thinking the same Jackie obviously I know what points/descriptors I have met but I would like to see how it has been worded.

I seen a sheet yesterday for the descriptors for support group and meant to copy it to , I will go googling again today

piratecat Tue 30-Apr-13 09:53:04

i got a copy of my esa85, with the full report. i rang to get it, but they wouldn't send it to me unless i wrote for it. f**ckers

ItsYoniYappy Tue 30-Apr-13 12:33:42

Mine was full of nonsense piratecat I wonder if they have my files mixed up but then I didn't have PTSD last June, I filled in my form in Feb 2012.

ItsYoniYappy Tue 30-Apr-13 12:35:21

Oh I actually feel quite sick at the thought of this now. Nice one ATOS. I am hoping that by some miracle they will look at my file before Thursday and I get a call saying I don't have to go. I know I am dreaming. I've wrote out the points I'm looking for and a few examples next to it.

piratecat Thu 02-May-13 12:17:34

good luck today let us know how you got on x

piratecat Fri 03-May-13 09:41:52

ItsYonniYappy

how are you, how did it go?x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now