Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Been prescribed naproxen but side effect list is scary. ..

(7 Posts)
EggwiniasRevenge Thu 11-Apr-13 22:01:11

Been prescribed for coccyx injury.

I know all deugs have side effects.
I know that they have to disclose side effects.
I know not everyone is going to have side effects.

But some of the side effects are very high frequency (1 in 10)
Some of the side effects are pretty scary...circulatory problems...bleeding gut...it seems to have a reasonable anaphylaxis risk as far as drugs go (but I don't have an allergic background).

I am taking a contraindicated medication (fluoxetine) but gp is fully aware of this and was discussed.

I am taking rantitidine with them to help.

But I am away for the weekend. I am a volunteer at a brownie sleepover. I can't afford to be causing a medical emergency....

PreciousPuddleduck Thu 11-Apr-13 22:02:13

You will be fine, just take them after food.

sashh Fri 12-Apr-13 05:28:27

Don't take the ranitidine at the same time, leave it a few hours between them.

You can get enteric coated naproxen that will not irritate your gut. It is long term use that can cause the gut to first be irritated and then bleed.

I took it for over 10 years with no problems other than the odd bit of acid reflux.

I only stopped because they can cause a bad reaction with my BP pills.

As they are an antiinflamatory you can take a painkiller at the same time.

gallifrey Fri 12-Apr-13 09:20:00

You'll be fine, I've been taking naproxen for about a year now with no side effects, I also take cocodamol and amitriptyline.

MrsBucketxx Fri 12-Apr-13 09:23:53

if you read the side affects of paracetamol, its even more scary you'll be fine.

Pandsbear Fri 12-Apr-13 11:21:39

I have used it on and off for years. I have never had any side effects from it - just found it effective. Had much more stomach irritation from diclofenac BUT that was after years of daily usage.

CajaDeLaMemoria Fri 12-Apr-13 11:27:44

Naproxen is formulated very similarly to ibuprofen.

If you take ibuprofen without side-effects, you aren't likely to get any with Naproxen either.

I've taken it for nine years, and have had no problems at all. Stomach issues usually only kick in after a few years continuos usage, which it doesn't sound like you'll have.

Worry not!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now