Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

No hospital bed for mum :(

(10 Posts)
NameThatTuna Fri 12-Apr-13 08:01:26

I'm not surprised you both found it distressing. I hope she is being well looked after when she is there - apart from the bed situation that is. That is never ok but that's the reality of the NHS today sadly.

Best wishes to you both flowers

MrsWhirling Fri 12-Apr-13 07:52:49

Thanks Tuna & Footie,

The hospital were grate to be honest and we completely understand the reasons why what happend, happend. Mum is considered a priority case so has received a new appointment for next week already and the bed manager called me to explain.

However it was a distressing and undignified experience for a nervous 70 year old woman and her emotional wreck (me!) of a daughter!

Fingers crossed for a positive outcome all round xx

NameThatTuna Fri 12-Apr-13 07:26:01

Hi OP

Sorry to hear of your worry about your DM. Unfortunately this is very common.

If you would like some answers or to make a complaint you could try PALS, check your Trusts website as it will have details of the complaints process or ring the Consultants secretary who can advise you further.

Hospital beds are allocated by Patient Access/Bed Management. The staff have every intention of getting patients in for procedures.

A discharge could be delayed on another ward for medical or social reasons, another patient due to be moved to that bed will also have to stay put, a patient due to move to that bed has to stay put and so on...IYKWIM.
Patients admitted overnight or that morning still waiting on a trolley in medical admissions will take priority over planned admissions.

There are many reasons why this happens. It's very difficult and frustrating for all concerned but it's very complex.

I work as a co-ordinator. I liaise with bed management on a daily basis and i'm responsible for discharging/admitting patients from other wards and from home.

Footle Thu 11-Apr-13 22:17:04

Yes that is awful. Does anyone else reading this know who Mrs Whirling or her Mum can appeal to to make sure this doesn't happen again ?

MrsWhirling Thu 11-Apr-13 21:19:01

Thank you for asking by the way xx

MrsWhirling Thu 11-Apr-13 21:18:43

Hi footie, it was an awful day sad

Mum was left in the waiting room until 5pm, by this point no food or water since 8pm night before! They even put her on a drip, in the waiting room, only to cancel the procedure at the last hour....

Footle Wed 10-Apr-13 23:25:36

How did it work out today, Mrs Wh ?

MrsWhirling Wed 10-Apr-13 09:16:25

Thank you Footie. Yes, she is really anxious about the babies as the younger is very attached to me. It's still awful for me leaving her though. I am an only child so don't have any siblings who could help out either. Xx

Footle Wed 10-Apr-13 08:44:01

I can understand why you're posting. It's horrible for you to have to leave her in limbo like this. But speaking as a grandmother, I bet she feels uneasy knowing that your baby will need feeding any minute, and that you are needed even more at home than at her side. I hope she will have a bed or else be sent home very soon. She knows you're only leaving because you have to.

MrsWhirling Wed 10-Apr-13 08:33:04

Mum's having a liver biopsy to take a sample from an unidentified tumour today.

She was supposed to be admitted last night but was told no bed and asked if we could come so bloods could be taken. We did that and was told to be here before 8am this morning.

We got here at 7am - still no bed. Mum had more blood taken and a line put in and has been told to go back to the waiting room until radiology call at aaprox 11:30 to say they are ready for her.

I have to leave her soon as I have left EBF newborn & DD5 at home with DH.

I don't even know why I am posting this to be honest but feel so sad to leave mum sitting in a waiting room on her own....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now