Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sore throat for ages......

(11 Posts)
MrsHoarder Mon 08-Apr-13 14:07:15

I think I've got the same thing, agrivated by over-swallowing because its much better for a day or two if I take paracetamol before bed (so don't spend hours lying there swallowing to try and stop it hurting).

LittleEsme Mon 08-Apr-13 13:49:15

Yep OP - felt tired but like you, had a new baby. I was also distracted by work going on restructuring my house so I didn't prioritise my sore throat IYSWIM.

Didn't have other symptoms though. Just a bloody awful throat. Like I was swallowing broken glassconfused.

Get thee to a Doctor Woman!

(hugs)

Ledkr Sun 07-Apr-13 21:30:47

Thanks all. I must admit as a previous cancer sufferer I am always a bit wary and google didn't help.
I did see strep throat but it said you'd feel Ill. Did you?
I'm always tired but that's due to non sleeping baby and a job and well life!
I think I will go to go this week.

LittleEsme Sun 07-Apr-13 21:08:44

I had this about 4 years ago - I remember it all too well - the pain was horrible but because it didn't 'develop' into something more unbearable or something more obvious, I didn't bother doing anything. In the end, I went to GP who took a swab. Called me in a few days later and said "LittleEsme, you must be in agony! You have Strep throat!".

A short sharp course of AB's and I was sorted. I think I put up with the pain for about 6 weeks. Muppet that I am.

AThingInYourLife Sun 07-Apr-13 19:40:03

A month?!

<faints>

I might be over swallowing because I am constantly drinking to make my throat feel better.

anywinewilldo Sun 07-Apr-13 19:34:27

I once had a sore throat just like you've described for over a month and ended up being referred to an ENT just to make sure nothing sinister was going on! The ENT scoped my throat and said she couldn't see anything untoward and explained that I could have prolonged a viral sore throat by over-swallowing. In other words, because I was constantly thinking out it, I was constantly swallowing and therefore ensuring that it didn't go away! Needless to say, after that appointment, it seemed to vanish fairly quickly!

Not to say that there's nothing wrong with you - your situation may be totally different, but just thought I'd share!

Ledkr Sun 07-Apr-13 17:48:35

I feel ok really it's just the throat but yes worse at night I have to keep drinking or it feels as if its closed up and makes me make a snoring sound which wakes me up.
It feels worse and more constant today I'm hoping it will either fuck off it develop into something proper

AThingInYourLife Sun 07-Apr-13 16:31:30

Since last Sunday I have been sick with an incredibly painful sore throat.

I've been taking painkillers around the clock and it's still really sore.

I'm not at all prone to sore throats.

My Dad had it too. His lasted for at least 5 days.

Two friends also had it.

I'm going to the doctor tomorrow because it's just taking so long to clear.

Is your sleep affected? I keep waking up in the middle if the night and that's when I feel most wretched.

Ledkr Sun 07-Apr-13 16:20:31

Not sure about reflux. It sort of aches and is sore. The other night it was making me almost snore hmm

jalopy Sun 07-Apr-13 14:42:01
Ledkr Sun 07-Apr-13 14:23:31

I just wondered if anyone else has had this.
I'm inclined to get mild sore throats usually if everyone else has a cold and also if I get very tired.
This time though I have had it for weeks.
It's not so sore that I can't eat or need time off, it's just sore and a bit achey and sometimes feels a bit swollen.
It's also a bit flemmy which is hard to clear.
It's not getting worse but not better either.
Help!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now