Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Advice please regarding extended stay in ITU with Guillain-Barre syndrome

(5 Posts)
MadameCheese Sun 07-Apr-13 14:15:04

Can you help please? I've a friend with Guillain-Barré syndrome who is currently in ITU, having been diagnosed a week ago. His wife has been told he may be in hospital until Christmas and in ITU for weeks/months. On a practical level what would she be able/allowed to do for him in ITU? I thought perhaps exercises to stop footdrop, mouth care etc. She feels really helpless, especially as he can only communicate on a very basic level ATM. Thanks

IndigoBarbie Mon 08-Apr-13 16:44:18

Hi I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I am hoping that once the Doctors have the treatment underway that it is not as prolonged until Christmas. I think just the fact that you will be there, and to support his wife is wonderful, and you may just be the shoulder that she needs at this time. I don't know where you are in the world, but at one point someone very close to me was one of the very few and rare cases of this illness in Scotland and although that was 25 years ago she since has made a full recovery and was left with a very small amount of side effects.
Wishing you lots of love and sorry I don't have much practical advice, but knowing mumsnet, there will be others along soon.

With love xxx

topsi Mon 08-Apr-13 18:41:27

I think the more she can do the better for both of them. Yes personal care will help, excercises, massage, reading to him etc. I am sure the team in ITU will be able to support her in this.

MadameCheese Tue 09-Apr-13 00:08:05

Thank you for such a lovely reply IndigoBarbie. It's just so awful to think of him in that state. His movement is now limited to his mouth and one eye, we are just praying for a miracle. Thank you for telling me about your friend and her positive recovery. topsi thank you too,
I'm sure the support from the staff is absolutely second to none in ITU but I can see how she might be frightened of doing something wrong when he has so many tubes/wires sad

IndigoBarbie Tue 09-Apr-13 14:34:14

Whatever you do, try not to go into fear about the situation, sending only loving and positive thoughts about it. I was speaking to my dear friend today who said it was a little longer than 25 years ago!!! sending love and many angels for you all xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now