Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Steroid injections for wrist tendonitis - anyone with experience?

(10 Posts)
violetta555 Fri 05-Apr-13 09:23:49

I've been diagnosed with de Quervain's tendonitis in my wrist and am currently wearing a wrist and thumb splint to rest the joint. The therapist said that if this fails to reduce the pain then the next step would be a steroid injection. Has anyone had these? What do they feel like, and are they effective? Any side effects? I must admit the thought of steroids makes me feel uneasy.

CMOTDibbler Fri 05-Apr-13 09:29:11

Not in my wrist, but I've had several steroid injections in my forearm for tendonitis.

It was mildly unpleasant when they were doing the injection, but no other side effects. But they stopped after 3 injections as theres then a risk of skin thinning - but the injections reduced the swelling enough to do the physio and sort it all out.

Acupuncture is great for tendonitis too - really helped me and I'm so not woo

Daisy17 Fri 05-Apr-13 09:38:30

Go for it, really helped mine, wished I'd done it sooner. Good luck and much sympathy.

violetta555 Fri 05-Apr-13 14:34:54

Thanks both - that's reassuring, glad to know there weren't any major side effects.

HeathRobinson Fri 05-Apr-13 14:39:38

I had cortisol in my wrist for tendonitis. It did hurt, but not as much as touching my wrist - ouch!

Just that one injection solved my problem, with no side effects. smile

KurriKurri Fri 05-Apr-13 22:02:48

I had De Quervains, - steroid injection really helped - although it did feel sore for a few days after the injection. Injection itself - I had it without a local (they did offer me one though) and it was a bit uncomfortable, goes in quite slowly - but I have had loads of injections/IV's in my wrist so am used to it, might be worth having the local if its offered.

The injection lasted about 8 months for me, then I got a recurrence, but the second time it was possible to control it with a couple of weeks of anti inflamms. and touch wood it hasn't come back again. So in my case, I think it was definitely worth it.

LadyWidmerpool Fri 05-Apr-13 22:05:50

I had ultrasound and strapping but what blitzed mine was acupuncture. My physio did it for me. I had three or four goes and my wrist is right as rain. Steroids would have been the next step but I didn't need them. Good luck, it's a right PITA.

Maisiemoo13 Fri 05-Apr-13 22:53:43

Hi I had a steroid injection in my shoulder for bursitis , it's has really done the job!!! Would definety recommend it , you might feel abit achy afterwards but I have now been pain free for nearly two months

violetta555 Sat 06-Apr-13 14:44:32

Thanks, everyone, for your words of support and reassurance - you are all bringing me round to the idea! smile

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 06-Apr-13 16:51:51

I have had a steroid injection for carpal tunnel syndrome so into the wrist. For me the first 48 hours where awful more painful than the first 48 hours after the eventual surgery. It was then great for exactly 26 and then the original pain was back. From talking to my surgeon my experience is not uncommon - steroid injections it seems are brilliant or awful nothing I between.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now