Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

dh has high heamoglobin of 51

(20 Posts)
staverton Sat 06-Apr-13 11:36:29

Just take him and get another blood test. It needs actionable either way as either 5.1 or 51 are a long way outside normal range.

Ulcers are linked to polycythaemia (high red blood cells), as well as to low Hb, but have never seen a Hb that high...

sannaville Sat 06-Apr-13 06:45:37

Unless of course someone at the lab has made an error and it should be 5.1....

sannaville Sat 06-Apr-13 06:44:32

Dh rang docs spoke to different receptionist , she said it def says 51 and its says after it 'high' but she was unsure what the normal range should be. Will keep careful eye on Dh over weekend and will take him to A&E if needs be xx

VivaLeBeaver Fri 05-Apr-13 22:21:37

It's far more likely to be 5.1 especially with an ulcer. Where I work we've also just changed the measurements from g/dl to g/l so a normal figure of 10.5 is now 105.

Just changed this week and I'm still trying to get my head round it. I wonder if the nurse at your GPs hasn't been told and has just seen a figure of 51 and doesn't know the systems changed (if it has whe you are)

staverton Fri 05-Apr-13 22:21:00

Take him to a&e and ask for a blood test.if its 5.1 or 51 it needs treating.
51 would be extremely dangerous.
If its 5.1 he could have been losing blood for a while (someone asked the black poo question) and could have compensated but losing anymore could tip him into heart failure.
Please go.

kissmelittleass Fri 05-Apr-13 22:12:02

My dad had a high reading a year ago and after tests he was found to have haemochromotosis which caused an overload of iron in the blood, his symptoms were aches and pains all over,dizzyness and extreme tiredness,he also lost alot of weight as he lost his appetite,doesn't sound like your dh has this but thats what a high iron count meant for my dad

Bugsylugs Fri 05-Apr-13 20:42:22

Sorry you could not get appointment . Still think dr should have spoken to him

sannaville Fri 05-Apr-13 08:52:19

Just rang docs typically no appointments left today so he has to wait til Monday, aaargghh I told him to book first app when he rang up yesterday bloody men!

sannaville Fri 05-Apr-13 08:44:27

He's at work now so can't check his gums, but hes complaining of bad joint aches and he says his balls are aching and have been for few weeks now! Will get onto doc now thanks guys

Bugsylugs Fri 05-Apr-13 06:58:23

So much more concise is itsnowingyrt

isitsnowingyet Fri 05-Apr-13 06:52:37

The nurse is wrong about it being high. Speak to dr. asap

Bugsylugs Fri 05-Apr-13 06:51:06

Posted too soon.
The result he has said to you just makes no sense as a high and if it is low he needs to be seen in hospital.

Is he pale and weak or flushed looking, do his gums look a good colour.

Pm if you want but please speak to a dr ASAP this morning

Bugsylugs Fri 05-Apr-13 06:47:04

Op I really think you or really dh should speak to a dr today. The range in our area changed this week so as someone said what used to be 5.1 is now 51.

I do not believe it is high at 51 never ever heard of it that high it would make the blood very thick and a risk and would warrant an urgent referral like wise a low level in that range. I think the nurse may have made an error.

Has his poo been black?

sannaville Fri 05-Apr-13 06:36:55

Thanks callow that's what I thought through the little I found out online. But the nurse def told him it was high as he repeated her and then DH asked what the count was and she said 51 and he wrote it down. The doc that will look at results won't be back til Monday anyway and don't think any other doc will look at them as that's usually how it works.

callow Thu 04-Apr-13 23:07:02

Be careful. I know in our area they have recently changed over to the international system of measuring heamoglobin so 14 is now 140 or 7.8 is 78. This means that the 51 could be 5.1.

I have never seen an Hb of 51 using the old system.

I think you should really ring the doctor and ask, because either it is very low or exceptionally high.

If it is 5.1 he will investigations and my need a blood transfusion.

sannaville Thu 04-Apr-13 15:23:04

Thanks green. I always nag that he doesn't drink enough water (he only ever drinks tea or coffee!) But he has got better recently with having drinks at mealtimes etc.

Greenoes Thu 04-Apr-13 15:19:45

Could he be overly dehydrated? Hope the doc has some answers for him thanks

sannaville Thu 04-Apr-13 15:16:04

Yes it does say high , he just rang docs and spoke to the nurse and the nurse said it was high at 51 and he needed to see doc.

Greenoes Thu 04-Apr-13 15:14:21

Does it say "high"?

To me (I'm a nurse), 51 could mean 5.1 which is VERY low and you mentioned a stomach ulcer.

sannaville Thu 04-Apr-13 14:57:22

Dh not been well recently he thought was associated with his stomach ulcer but has general aching all over his body. He had bloods done and they've shown hemoglobin is high at 51. I've looked it up and should be between 14-18 . What can cause this increase any ideas?
He's got to wait til tues to see doc to find out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now