Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Migralief or Riboflavin supplements as migraine preventative

(20 Posts)
Spookey80 Sat 13-Apr-13 13:51:28

Thankyou jasper, I will perservere for a bit, but hard to cope with feeling like a zombie, looking after dcs and working, but spouse also hard doing these things with recurrent migraines also.

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 12-Apr-13 21:31:51

Botox does make look more awake - but I started having it for migraine in my very early 30s and it made no difference to how I looked really.

jasperc163 Fri 12-Apr-13 20:46:20

Thanks KenDodds. Does the Botox have cosmetic benefits too?!

Spookey- I was put on amitriptyline a few weeks ago, I gave up after 2.5 weeks i'm afraid as I felt like crap (total zombie at 20mg) and headaches worse if anything. I think ideally though you are meant to give it a month if you can hack it. Consultant I saw implied he didn't think i'd get past 30mg anyway so sounds like you are coping better with it than I did.

Spookey80 Fri 12-Apr-13 20:41:12

Sorry to hijack thread, but I'm currently on a beta blocker and have just added in amytritalline, my gp has advised me increase (in increments) this to 100mg, but I can't get past 30mg without feeling like a zombie.
Anyone had any similar experience, should I just perservere?

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 12-Apr-13 20:34:40

Almost straight away! I also have Botox between my eyes which has been fab too.

jasperc163 Fri 12-Apr-13 19:54:01

thanks KenDodds - makes me feel a bit better :-) Going to try a couple of other alternative approaches first but significant chance I will have dto give the Topiramate a go as have had a headache for 6 weeks now (apart from 3 wonderful days!).
How quickly did it help you?

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 12-Apr-13 19:17:00

I'm in a senior role and manage a lot of people so I have to be quite sharp too.

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 12-Apr-13 19:16:22

No more than normal ! It's something that affects me with migraine but I haven't noticed with Topiramate . I guess everyone is different though smile
I'm on 25mg capsules twice a day.

jasperc163 Fri 12-Apr-13 19:06:01

thanks KenDodds - any problem with foggy brain/struggling for words etc? That's the one that worries me as have to work! What dose are you on?

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 11-Apr-13 20:46:25

I had a few to start with - loss of appetite (that soon went!). The most bizarre thing is fizzy drinks , including champagne tasting flat.
I didn't have amatryptaline but I know a colleague who has has Topiramate after trying that and he says it is much better.

jasperc163 Thu 11-Apr-13 18:41:59

Well i've ordered some Migrelief from the US so I will post back re this.

jasperc163 Wed 10-Apr-13 12:59:13

Rockinhippy , are you taking 400mg riboflavin?

Kenndodds, any problems with it? The side effects scare me. just given up on amitriptyline as I actually seemed worse on it? Topiramate next on list unless I find an alternative solution :-(

Thanks all

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 06-Apr-13 20:35:36

Oh no that's awful ! I'm nowhere near that bad but any kind of 'low fat' or 'diet' things that are loaded with fake sugars kill me.

rockinhippy Sat 06-Apr-13 16:24:38

I'm the same with a lot of the chemical additives Ken & they affect my DD badly too, though its skin rashes & stomach with her - it's caused major problems when she has been ill & needing medicines/antibiotics etc as they cure the infection, but caused colitis & made her ill for months afterwards - thankfully she's older now, so its much easier, but we still have to empty antiBs out of the coloured shells for her & take that way

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 06-Apr-13 15:55:00

*sweeteners

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 06-Apr-13 15:54:47

Sweetners kill me. One mouthful of a diet drink and it's headache city . Even certain yoghurts give me headaches.

rockinhippy Sat 06-Apr-13 15:51:08

I haven't tried it, but I take high dose riboflavin & magnesium on advice of the migraine clinic & it definitely helps. I used to swear by feverfew, but i stopped when TTC & then my migraines changed to chronic & more often silent migrain after DD was born & sadly its not worked for me since -

so in theory if that's all that's in it, then its sounds very good, though do look out for any food chemical additives/sweeteners/colours, I find the chemical junk they put in foods & especially medicines aggravates my migraine.

Good luck, I don't get on with any of the drug therapies either

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 06-Apr-13 15:39:45

Have not tried it - sounds interesting ! But I get on great with Topiramate

jasperc163 Fri 05-Apr-13 04:11:42

Anyone? not getting on with amitriptyline and really worried about topiramate having googled.
Thanks

jasperc163 Thu 04-Apr-13 11:00:59

This is the US product that contains v high levels of riboflavin at 400mg feverfew and magnesium. Or simply b2 on its own?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now