Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Heart attack symptoms? Or just me being silly...?

(92 Posts)
wrinklyraisin Mon 01-Apr-13 18:23:35

My OH is upstairs in bed. He's been unwell since last night, bad indigestion he said, and feeling like he might throw up. We ate the same food (pretty heavy on the fat content yesterday!) so I don't think it's good poisoning. He says it hurts right below his chest bone, like a bad stomach ache. He's overweight, but usually quite active. Today he's been out of breath going up and down the stairs. His face is quite flushed but more purple than red iyswim? He's also quite clammy and sweaty on and off, but no fever. He insists he's ok and just needs to sleep. I'm worried its more serious... My instinct is erring on the side of caution but I don't want to be a paranoid fool if its just a tummy bug.

Anyone have any advice?

wrinklyraisin Thu 11-Apr-13 19:55:43

Well, over a week on and my OH is doing great smile he's eating better (I'm forcing us to fill half our plates with veg/salad) and trying zone gentle regular exercise. His gall bladder is bothering him still but we are planning surgery soon. His heart rate has been steady and good oxygen stats since the attack. I'm hoping that he's going to be lucky and get healthy and have no further issues. I'm super anxious a lot of the time still though. I'm not sure how to cope with the sometimes crippling fear i won't see him again as he drives off to work. I guess I just need to get over it.

We both ended up buying new cars smile as mine needed $4k of work and as it had 212,000 odd miles on it I thought screw it I will get a shiny new car too! So we have His n Hers parked in the driveway, causing much mirth in our family lol.

Never mind Corra you're starring in your own soap by the sounds of it grin

Hope you have a stress free weekend.

cece Fri 05-Apr-13 18:10:24

What an eventful week in your house!

wrinklyraisin Fri 05-Apr-13 16:41:52

That's exactly what he said, so we are getting tickets tonight. Will send you all a postcard from the Maldives if we win. (We bloody well better.)

QOD Fri 05-Apr-13 16:38:39

Nope, he's done his 3 now, oh, unless he's part cat and got 9 lives?

Buy lottery tickets NOW!

notapizzaeater Fri 05-Apr-13 16:33:37

Omg ! At least that's 3 - gallstones/heart/car .....

Sylvia in coronation street is selling pot blush

wrinklyraisin Fri 05-Apr-13 16:19:48

Good grief. Honestly couldn't make this shit up.

OH doing amazingly well, figures he can go back to work and sit at a desk just to not use up his paltry sick days. Leaves for work, it's a very very sunny morning, I think "hmmm I'd rather he DIDN'T go" but figured a few hours at a desk is probably easier on him than trying to redecorate the bathroom (I kid you not. He is the worlds worst ill person, he can't rest for more than a day before he needs to get busy) anyway....

40 minutes after he leaves, I get a phone call. "Now don't get hysterical but...." says he. My heart immediately stops. Turns out someone ran a red light and he hit them at 45mph... Wrote off his car completely. But THANK GOD he's fine, the paramedics have checked him over and he's completely cleared to go home no worries. So can I come get him.

I swear to god, I'm going grey overnight plus I feel like there's this evil vendetta against my OH! Someone's using a voodoo doll on him or something. He's now sat at home trying to sort the insurance so he can go car shopping this weekend. I'm looking into the nearest legal source of pot cos quite frankly I need something to help me relax or I'll be the next one in hospital. FFS.

Umanayana Wed 03-Apr-13 22:29:00

So, so glad all is well!

LittleTyga Wed 03-Apr-13 22:24:28

Glad all is well in the Wrinkly home smile

cece Wed 03-Apr-13 18:17:25

smile

Aww that's lovely. Mn is great at times isn't it? Us nest of vipers do have a good side wink

FancyPuffin Wed 03-Apr-13 12:33:08

Very glad he's being well looked after grin

I've been there and you may find you have a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions over the next few days. Come back and let us know how you're getting on smile

lemontwist Wed 03-Apr-13 11:42:46

Aw wrinkly your post has slapped a big grin on my face. Glad all's going well and wishing your OH a speedy recovery.
grin

wrinklyraisin Wed 03-Apr-13 10:54:44

I just want to thank everyone who took the time to reply and helped me to listen to my inner voice that something was Not Right at all with my OH. It's all too easy to convince yourself you're over reacting. But I just knew it wasn't right, how he was, and reading all your replies helped give me the strength to act on my intuition and get him to see he needed help too. It probably saved his life. And I know it sounds corny but waking up with him right by my side this morning is the best feeling ever as 24hrs ago I was terrified I'd lose him.

He's on a cocktail of drugs and under strict instructions to rest, has follow up appointments out the wazoo, but, for now, he's fine and recovering well and very grateful in a manly lets not talk about it but I'm going to hug you tight all night kind of way.

cece Wed 03-Apr-13 09:02:05

All sounding more positive today. smile

out2lunch Tue 02-Apr-13 23:54:37

good luck with everything op xxx

That's good to hear. I know how scary it is though.

Brandy's always good in this sort of situation wink

Chugnut Tue 02-Apr-13 20:50:25

Glad he got checked out. I hope he is in the mend soon

Gingerandcocoa Tue 02-Apr-13 19:06:43

Wow how lucky he is to have an OH like you smile. Well done for insisting and taking him to hospital.

Hope he gets back home soon & that the road to recovery is bump-free smile

QueenOfCats Tue 02-Apr-13 19:05:05

Sorry to hear that your fears were justified, but so glad you finally got him to hospital and that he's on the mend!

Don't forget to look after yourself too thanks

wrinklyraisin Tue 02-Apr-13 18:53:12

Quick update. The ER has been amazing. Seriously cannot fault them, running as many tests as they did as quickly as they did, starting treatment within such a short time. My OH is literally a different man 12 hours later. He's on various meds, but they're happy with his progress as his heart rate has been stable for hours now, pain is managed too. I need to check but he's on antibiotics, beta blockers, aspirin, and another IV he's just finishing up. We will know more soon. The dr said something about him maybe coming home once he's been stable 24hrs. Then surgery can be scheduled after the antibiotics are done. Typically he's insisting he doesn't want to be admitted overnight now he's feeling better. But thank God, thank GOD, he did listen and let me drive him here. Lesson learned: sometimes it is serious. He's already joked a few times that he's never going to live this down. I said I bloody hope so, after everything I've gone through. FFS. I nearly needed heart attack treatment myself!!!

PenguinBear Tue 02-Apr-13 18:44:02

Glad he let you take him and glad he's recieving treatment now.

lisad123everybodydancenow Tue 02-Apr-13 17:49:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jollyb Tue 02-Apr-13 17:45:27

So glad he sought help. Get well soon.

ExcuseTypos Tue 02-Apr-13 17:19:47

Oh what a shock!

He is in the best place now. Well done for nagging him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now