Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anyone on BetaBlockers?

(21 Posts)
shirleyjmays Fri 20-Sep-13 10:57:49

Hi. I am also on Amlodipine for high bp. I started having heart palpitations a few years ago and recently ihad the echo stress test along with the chest monitoring and everything came back fine. So my dr. suggested metoprolol. I took my first one last night. Palpitations seem worse. I dont know if its because I didnt take it with food or what. Now I am scared to take another one. Im 46 years old. My birthday is tomorrow. I am on my way to Vegas for my birthday. Should I keep taking them? I have read other posts that if you start taking them you have to continue on them forever.

Aquelven Sun 31-Mar-13 18:25:14

heronsfly Amlopodine is a calcium channel blocker, I'm on that along with a couple of others, though not beta blockers.

EMUZ Sun 31-Mar-13 17:50:57

I lose hair but I put that down to the citalopram

does anyone find they are losing more hair than normal? DD takes metoprolol and her hair is coming out in handfuls sad. It's a listed side effect (thanks for not warning a teenage girl though doctor angry) but I'm not sure of other varieties will have the same problem.

EMUZ Sun 31-Mar-13 17:42:37

Good idea to give him the leaflet smile
I also take a small dose of citalopram and I've had CBT. The most helpful thing is acknowledging the panic and carrying on. Now I can go "oh panic, hi!" And get on with what I was going
Also sometimes have to repeat in my head "it's just panic. It will pass. You are ok and safe"

Dawndonna Sun 31-Mar-13 17:37:43

Oh, and as I get hot flushes and night sweats, hopefully, cold hands and feet will be a good thing!

Dawndonna Sun 31-Mar-13 17:37:11

Thank you, all.
I stopped smoking last year and am now trying to lose the weight. Interestingly, every sodding doctor I've spoken to said maybe giving up, given my situation, was not the best idea. Not going back now though.
I do panic about things, lots of things and have fairly severe health anxiety. I can also get an adreniline rush (panic type) watching television, so have to be careful about what I watch, too. Ridiculous!
It does sound as though relatively small doses of these are going to help, so back to the docs and I shall say yes.
Emuz Brilliant idea about the leaflet. I shall give it to dh.

heronsfly Sun 31-Mar-13 16:52:29

I take Amlodipine,Perindopril and Bisoprolol, after heart surgery,not sure if they are all BetaBlocker but theres some in there somewhere grin.
I have minor side effects including as mentioned cold hands and feet,occasional bloating and i have put on weight,but Ive put that down to stopping smoking.

EMUZ Sun 31-Mar-13 16:45:12

Oh and no side effects. The best thing I read was give someone else the side effects leaflet. If you have something go to them and get them to read the leaflet. Otherwise I used to work myself up that basically taking one tablet I would have every side effect and keel over

EMUZ Sun 31-Mar-13 16:43:42

I take propranolol. Was on 3 x 10mg a day now down to 10mg. They are for anxiety for me (generalised anxiety and panic disorder)

Primrose123 Sun 31-Mar-13 16:40:34

I took them for migraines, and they helped, but I felt very tired and slow on them and put on a lot of weight.

ashley69ly Sun 31-Mar-13 16:18:59

I suffer from anxiety and was given them at a time when i was was very distressed and they reduced the worst of my symptoms very quickly, within hours in fact. It was a massive relief at a time when i thought i was loosing my mind. I carried on taking them regularly while i had counseling to help me deal with my stress and anxiety and now only take them if i am feeling particularly anxious. I've not had any side effects. I was warned that they might make me feel tired during the day while taking the full dose but i never felt that too be the case.

I've taken them for years now for high blood pressure and they have also really helped with my non-hormonal migraines. However I find they affect my circulation - my hands and feet are always cold!

Crazycake Sun 31-Mar-13 11:21:26

They did get rid of my migraines though smile

Crazycake Sun 31-Mar-13 11:20:39

I was on a high dose of propranolol (80mg up to 4 times a day) for an irregular heartbeat. I went down the route of having an operation after being on them for 12 months because of the side effects. I had horrendous night disturbances, I saw people in my bedroom and I would fight them, my DH had a few bruises in those 12 months but the thing that made me go for the op was because I saw a goblin in my DD's cot trying to kidnap her shock it was terrifying but what if I'd accidentally hut her! The doc explained this is a very rare occurrence and usually only happens on a high dose. For what you need them for the dose is usually much lower, hope they help you.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Sun 31-Mar-13 11:13:19

I have been on Atenolol 50 mg for several years to control borderline high BP,
i have had no problems with side effects so far.

Dawndonna Sun 31-Mar-13 10:48:25

Thank you. I am considering them. My heart beats too fast and I suffer from anxiety, dr. suggested them as I can't take SSRIs or Tricyclics. Will give them a go.
Interesting about the migraines, I've had them all my life, so if they stop that would be fabulous!

Madsometimes Sun 31-Mar-13 08:40:02

For the first few weeks I had headaches (needed paracetamol every day). After that eased no problems.

Queenofknickers Sat 30-Mar-13 23:06:52

Yes, they reduce my migraines massively. I haven't had any side effects except worrying about things far less!

KurriKurri Sat 30-Mar-13 22:48:10

I was on them, - it was to control over active thyroid symptoms, so they were to slow my heart rate down. I didn't have any problems with side effects, but then one of the side effects (i.e. slowing the heart rate) was a hoped for effect for me IYSWIM.

Dawndonna Sat 30-Mar-13 21:28:03

If so, why and what are the side effects please.
TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now