Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Way TMI. Colitis and bleeding.

(12 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Saddayinspring Sat 23-Mar-13 21:36:27

Maybe a more urgent referral. Especially if you are going several times per day or feel unwell
If you are losing huge amts of blood or going more than 10 times per day or have fast heartrate or fever you need to see out of hours and possibly be admitted for a drip and steroids to settle it down

Tieni Sat 23-Mar-13 21:45:11

Yes, you need an urgent referral and probably oral or intravenous steroids. I also know (from experience -I have UC) the longer it takes to get the steroids the longer it takes to heal. The foam didn't do anything for me.

flowers

MorphandChas Sat 23-Mar-13 21:47:44

Walnutcakelover Sat 23-Mar-13 22:06:36

lunatic my mum was diagnosed with proctitis last year June after having a colonoscopy. In December she started to complain about having pain in the left side of her abdomen, she had been going in and out of the A&E with bleeding, bad pain and other horrible symptoms, and the ones you have described. Anyone last week she was admitted to the hospital because she fainted, she was severely anemic, dehydrated and the pain was horrendous, she was also vomiting .My mum was in hospital for 11 days, she had a blood transfusion, steroids, saline, and various other medication including morphine for the pain. She also had a CT scan which showed she had Ulcerative Colitis. She is back home now.

laineylou Sun 24-Mar-13 22:27:16

Yes get to IBD nurse or re-referred to consultant. They may need to up/ change your meds. Don't stop taking meds because its gone awaay (bitter experience) Try to avoid stress it can make flare ups worse. i've found restricting carbs seems to be helping (or at least not making it worse)

Snazzynewyear Sun 24-Mar-13 22:33:26

I have been through this with UC. What you are describing is a severe attack that needs urgent treatment. I had these symptoms for a few weeks and then also started getting abdominal pain and loss of appetite - ended up going straight to A&E and being hospitalised to deal with it. While I don't want to scare you, it is really important - as Tieni and Walnut have said above - that you get treatment as soon as possible to sort it out. I would try and speak to your IBD nurse urgently tomorrow but if nothing is forthcoming I woul consider going to A&E as it will not get better and will only get worse. The foam never did anything for me either - I think that like mine, yours is bad enough to now need something stronger. Please get onto someone tomorrow. Hope it helps.

Saddayinspring Sun 24-Mar-13 22:37:17

You can also make urgent appt with GP tomorrow and get him to admit you to the hospital ( or overnight tonight )

edwinbear Sun 24-Mar-13 22:44:21

I suffer with proctitis, it sounds like you are having a flare up. I concur with everyone else, this need to dealt with urgently. My gastroenterologist gave me a prescription of the suppositories I use to manage mine so that in the even of a flare up I can start using them immediately, before even seeing the GP.

tazmo Mon 25-Mar-13 13:04:09

I have proctitis as well - diagnosed when I was 18 and sounds like you have a flare up. I have a number to call where I can go to a walk in clinic which is held every week. I think I can also get advice over the phone from a nurse. Do you have that?

I know getting man handled for uc is not great and I think I'm flaring up too. I should call up myself but know I haven't been looking after myself (eating crap, been stressed, just had dd3 and not sleeping well). What I want to know is - my consultant said it was unlikely that the proctitis would spread to be full UC but how do they know if they haven't shoved a camera up there? I have defo felt a change in bowel habits recently, am having really bitty poos, had bright yellow foamy one at the weekend and am getting pain in both sides of abdomen under ribs. I don't have bright red bleeding but do have like poos which seem to be abdomen wall with flecks of blood in it? Anyone had these symptoms with full UC?

As said, going to call myself. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now