Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I think I may have Labrynthitis again....18 years later

(9 Posts)
OhToBeCleo Sat 23-Mar-13 07:58:49

I woke two nights ago with the sensation that I was in a tumble drier (with the associated stomach flips of being on a roller coaster).
Last night I got up to go to the toilet and it was like I was on a boat in a storm...I lurched to the left, then staggered to the right, before holding on to the wall to get to the bathroom.
Now I feel like that boat is constantly rocking. Very unsettling. I can't take time off work this week (though have a week off for easter) and am a lone parent with no support system (though my ds is 11 so has a degree of independence).
Can anyone share some practical coping tactics that don't involve taking to my bed?

Btw....I plan to go to the doc on Monday if the symptoms persist but don't feel too frightened at the moment as I recognise the symptoms.

tabbycat15 Sat 23-Mar-13 10:50:43

I had ot once for about 10 days it was awful. You could see if some could get you some Sturgeron travel sick tablets. They might help with the feeling of swaying.
The Drs usually prescribe Stemetil.
I hope that you feel better soon.

OhToBeCleo Sat 23-Mar-13 11:55:02

Thanks tabbycat, motion sickness pills make perfect sense, will definitely give them a try.

RocknRollNerd Sat 23-Mar-13 12:26:49

Oh gosh, you have my sympathies. You can buy buccastem over the counter now. It's called Buccastem M and is specifically for nausea associated with migraine but it's exactly the same stuff I was prescribed years agot when I had labyrinthitis. If you can convincingly ask a pharmacist for it and explain you get occasional migraines, have run out and want to have some in for the next one you might be able to pick some up in Boots today. Not that I've ever done that, oh no...

Hope you feel better soon.

ChippingInIsEggceptional Sat 23-Mar-13 12:34:50

Oh God I feel for you sad I had this a couple of months ago and it was awful, I had it bad for 24 hrs then mildly for a couple of days (so was lucky really) - I read a website where people were saying they had this permanently - I couldn't cope - I'd have to shoot myself - it's that awful.

I've got nothing useful to say but just wanted to give my sympathy, I had it in 2008, it was miserable sad

dinkydoodah Sat 23-Mar-13 14:13:13

You have my sympathy, I have had this twice and its horrendous! I found that sitting up and keeping hydrated really helped. Also, eat small plain meals/snacks throughout day, even when you don't feel hungry. I was really bad for about 3 weeks then very gradually got better over a period of about 4months.

dinkydoodah Sat 23-Mar-13 14:15:50

Sorry forgot to add, I was prescribed stemetil an anti sickness medicine which helped a little but not a lot.

OhToBeCleo Sat 23-Mar-13 16:22:34

Thanks all. The symptoms eased a little after I ate. They're still there but manageable at the moment (ie I've just been out in the snow to get groceries). Having said that, as I'm getting more tired I can feel it getting worse again. I sincerely hope this will be a brief bout. No sickness yet, just constant spinning feeling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now