Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

On Amitriptyline - feeling vulnerable and paranoid?

(15 Posts)
rubyrubyruby Fri 22-Mar-13 13:52:07

could this be a side affect?

Don't like feeling like this.
Very tearful at times and I don't know why.

Has anyone else felt like this?

cravingcake Fri 22-Mar-13 14:19:24

Are you only just starting it? The first 2 weeks or so are really hard with side effects. I remember feeling just not myself for a few days, and the extreme tiredness was very hard also.

You could always call your doctor and ask for a chat about it, as they may just need to change the dose that you are having.

Saltire Fri 22-Mar-13 14:21:00

Are you on quite a high dose?

rubyrubyruby Fri 22-Mar-13 14:22:40

Thanks for replying

It's been almost a month and these symptoms appear to be getting worse. Just hoping it's the drugs side effect and not me.

rubyrubyruby Fri 22-Mar-13 14:23:33

Only 2 every evening. Have been told I can increase to 7 if necessary!

alwayslookingup Fri 22-Mar-13 14:28:02

This is horrible, nasty, cheap and old crap (the drug, not the thread).

Let me guess, you told the doc you can't sleep, so he/she has given you 25mg or thereabouts "which will help you sleep". Of course it will because it's a well known side effect of tricyclic anti depressants, along with dry mouth, blurred vision and constipation ergo you can't see, spit or shit.

What a low dose won't do is cure your depression. To do that you'd need such high doses (150mg+) that you'd be a non functioning zombie. No, 'fraid to say, but if I were you I'd get off that stuff asap. I know fluoxetine (Prozac) and other SSRI anti-depressants have had bad press, but they are proven to cure depression, you have a wide choice to find the one that suits you, and the side effects are minimal compared to the older ones. Have a chat with your GP asap.

cravingcake Fri 22-Mar-13 14:37:04

You may need to change what you are on, I certainly wouldn't increase the dose without speaking to your GP. Most side effects settle down within the first 2 - 3 weeks so they shouldn't be getting worse.

I was on a very low dose as an attempt to try to help with long-term back pain. I also take citalopram for depression and after a couple of decent conversations with my GP we found a 'good' mix of the two, that worked for me. However, the amitriptyline hasn't helped my pain in any way so I'm now coming off it.

To help put your mind at rest it would be worth having a chat with your GP again.

orangeandlemons Fri 22-Mar-13 14:40:44

Hi, I've been on about 10 different ad's including amitriptiline, and yes it made me paranoid. Not mentioned in the side effects, and psychiatrist refused to believe me. I had never been paranoid in my life before taking it. After 5 years on it, I eventually fell apart because of the paranoia ( thinking random people were going to thump me in the streethmm).

I am now on paroxetine and no longer paranoid. However I stayed on ami for so long because it made me sleep. I now find1/2 mirtazipne works just as well for kip. However at the correct dose on ami I felt very happy, just paranoid. I don't think there are any better or worse drugs it is the one that is right for you.

rubyrubyruby Fri 22-Mar-13 14:40:53

It's not for depression. I'm taking it as a suppressant for acute nerve pain,

I'm having surgery for the pain in a few weeks so its a temporary measure. I would just like reassurance that its a drug side effect and not my normal state of mind.

there you go see - I'm paranoid!!!! Argh!

rubyrubyruby Fri 22-Mar-13 14:43:19

Cross- posts. Thanks for reassurance.

alwayslookingup Fri 22-Mar-13 14:47:33

Ruby, what kind of neuralgia? If it's trigeminal neuralgia then gold standard preparation is a drug call gabapentin. Look it up.

rubyrubyruby Fri 22-Mar-13 14:51:40

It's tooth pain - I have a number of problems caused by an impacted wisdom tooth. 2 teeth have now died so I'm having root canal and wisdom tooth removal. The pain has drastically diminished since the roots died off so Im wondering whether to drop down to 1 and then none next week.

QueenandKingMum Fri 22-Mar-13 14:56:24

Gabapentin made me paranoid and very anxious/angry.. beware as these are common side effects and if you are susceptible to amitrypaline you may very well be on this drug too. I took gabapentin for fibromyalagia/lupus and currently take amitrypaline for sleeping, so goes to show you what you may be susceptible to.

brokenk Sat 23-Mar-13 06:12:31

Guys maybe you can ask your gp for
nortryptyline
its similar to amitryptyline but lighter
In low doses work also for chronic pain but doesnt have such bad side efects like amitryptyline

rubyrubyruby Mon 25-Mar-13 05:18:34

I dropped down to 1 a night and none last night. I've felt much better this weekend smile but couldn't sleep tonight.

That could be the wine though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now