Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Odd spot on hand. Could it be skin cancer?

(5 Posts)
BankWuggery Thu 21-Mar-13 11:25:35

I had what I thought was a pimple come up on the back of my hand about a week ago. Thought it was a strange place to get a spot but vaguely assumed it might have been an insect bite or something similar and didn't think any more of it. But it's still there, and has changed shape into a raised but flat, reddy pink spongey blob with a dark red edge and a teeny dark dot right in the centre.

I'm off to the doctors to get it checked out but has anyone got experience of this sort of thing?

Footle Fri 22-Mar-13 09:37:35

It's a prime site for sun damage. I had a spot like what you describe on each hand. Diagnosed as squamous cell cancers , easily treated by blasting like warts. My sister had one which needed excising, but it came back and she has now had a bigger excision.
Good that you're seeing the dr , hope it's nothing.

Footle Fri 22-Mar-13 18:13:43

I hope you'll come back and tell us how you get on.

BankWuggery Mon 25-Mar-13 14:14:26

Thanks Footle. Thankfully it's nothing of concern apparently, maybe an odd bite which is taking time to heal or something similar- It does look to be going down now so I am grateful of that!

Footle Mon 25-Mar-13 15:02:31

Thanks for posting, it's nice to know you read my reply ! I'm glad your blob was nothing, but someone lurking may have been helped by reading what we've said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now