Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone knowledgeable about pneumonia?

(20 Posts)
IcouldstillbeJoseph Wed 20-Mar-13 18:12:36

I had severe pneumonia when 17 wks preg with DC2 (now 6 wks old) - hospitalised for week. Had clear CXR after 6 weeks although I still suffered a lot with tachycardia and dyspnoea throughout rest of preg. I just excused it as part of being pregnant.
Anyway, at 38 weeks I collapsed with an even more severe case of pneumonia and ended up being stabilised in HDU and then induced. Felt much better once baby was born, completed 2 weeks of oral abx and have a respiratory follow up in a few weeks.

Just wondering whether I should be worried really. I know pregnancy makes you immune-suppressed but 2 severe cases?! Also, before DC1 (2 years ago) I ran 10k and half marathon regularly (to a rather goid standard) so don't consider myself to have a 'weak chest'.

Each time the 'bug' came from my toddler - he had high temp, flu type bug - I caught a cough/cold and then after 2 weeks went suddenly downhill with pneumonia......

Any experts out there?

IcouldstillbeJoseph Wed 20-Mar-13 19:09:15

Bump

RandomMess Wed 20-Mar-13 19:12:31

Hmmm DH similarly fit etc and came down with pneumonia on 2 seperate occasions.

In hindsight we think he probably had a chest injury from 5 side football so wasn't inhaling deeply enough due to pain which is key thing that causes pneumonia

IcouldstillbeJoseph Wed 20-Mar-13 19:25:54

Maybe it was just not breathing deeply enough due to preg then. I know I'll be worried about my follow up appt and they'll say " yeah it's bad luck innit, bye!"

TheAccidentalEgghibitionist Thu 21-Mar-13 16:37:39

I've had pneumonia twice. Ask for the pneumonia jab at the doctors. I haven't had anything since then, wonderful!

RandomMess Thu 21-Mar-13 21:29:19

Accidental, they've refused to let dh have it!!!

TheAccidentalEgghibitionist Fri 22-Mar-13 06:12:27

What? Random that's completely ridiculous. I'd be furious, is he willing to complain or is there a medical reason?

IcouldstillbeJoseph Fri 22-Mar-13 06:58:05

Was just thinkIng the same!

RandomMess Fri 22-Mar-13 19:13:17

They just said he didn't qualify!

Hulababy Fri 22-Mar-13 19:24:48

I'm asking for the jab next year.

Had pretty bad pneumonia 3 years ago which resulted in being in hospital and 7 weeks of work.
I'm currently ill with a chest infection and had an urgent X-ray yesterday and awaiting results for pneumonia again.

Again no previous health issues and relatively fit and healthy. No reasons given.

IcouldstillbeJoseph Fri 22-Mar-13 20:54:49

Hoping it's not pneumonia again for you Hulababy

unlucky83 Fri 22-Mar-13 21:22:16

Not an expert - and don't want to worry you - but did they check you out for a Pulmonary embolism? (PE).
I was diagnosed with pneumonia 20+ years ago.
Not hospitalised, but saw 3 doctors (GPs) and had a chest xray - had real problems breathing - could only walk upstairs one step at a time ...coughed up small amount of fresh blood...got better eventually with antibiotics (6 weeks or so)...
Four months later - had a huge DVT and diagnosed with a blood clotting disorder (APS/Hughes syndrome) ....which I now test negative for...
Got my 'pneumonia' after a long haul flight, as a smoker on the contraceptive pill...probably had a small DVT in my other leg as well after flight out ...
Pregnancy is know to increase risk of thrombosis ( I had to do heparin injections throughout both of mine - even though I now test negative)
Since diagnosis I have to take any pain/swelling in legs and sharp chest pains v. seriously - they can do blood tests (arterial bleed is one - and you'll know if you've had one) but as far as I am aware the only definite way of confirming a PE is a VQ scan - you breath in and they inject radiation and they couldn't have done that when you were pregnant... but maybe after?
Maybe ask about that at your appointment - and maybe test for APS? (but it is hit and miss....)
Also when was your DC born? - risk is still high up to 6 weeks after birth...sad

IcouldstillbeJoseph Fri 22-Mar-13 21:41:50

I had VQ scan whilst preg as they v much thought it was a PE initially and it showed "changes consistent with pneumonia"

IcouldstillbeJoseph Fri 22-Mar-13 21:43:07

Also had 6 arterial blood gases - bloody horrendous!

unlucky83 Fri 22-Mar-13 22:44:10

So glad that it wasn't a PE - really dithered about posting that - but knowing it could have (terrible) implications in future pregnancies - or even now - I thought I should...
Arterial bleeds - first and the worst one I had done in emergency situation in hospital when they thought big clot was coming loose - (those docs had never seen a clot so extensive and didn't know what to do with me - they transferred me to a bigger hospital the next day) - all a bit chaotic - they had crash trolley ready -sorting out emergency surgery etc (I was praying 'please god don't let me die' - and I'm think I'm an atheist wink )- think doc was in too much hurry to do it - so it took 3 or 4 attempts (and maybe it is also linked with my emotions of that night).
Others since have been better but I am truly terrified of them...(I can't help crying and shaking ...and feeling really pathetic....) -they are horrible...

unlucky83 Fri 22-Mar-13 22:46:40

See even thinking about it fries my brain...sorry I couldn't be more help and good luck!

IcouldstillbeJoseph Sat 23-Mar-13 20:03:33

Gosh you poor thing. The whole not being able to breathe properly thing is terrifying isn't it.

TheAccidentalEgghibitionist Sun 24-Mar-13 11:25:45

unlucky I wonder if you have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder? It sounds like you have the symptoms.

The last time I had pneumonia I was very poorly indeed, it took me perhaps a year to fully recover and up to two years to mentally get over it. How about looking into PTSD to see if your symptoms fit?

unlucky83 Sun 24-Mar-13 19:36:23

Thanks -
'I could still be' - not being able to breather is absolutely petrifying - and the pleuritic pain - agony - mine was in my shoulder - you poor thing having to go through that twice...and you too 'accidental'

PTSD - A lot of water under the bridge since - very messed up afterwards, suicidal, antidepressants, counselling...
Now I actually feel sorry for the docs - they have this apparently rational human being -knows whats happening, been though all this before (and knows its coming) ...and then they mention the words and I fall to pieces ...the last one (youngish) looked so shocked... and out of her depth - she got someone else to do it and I don't think that was the original plan! Honestly it is ok - only thing that really freaks me out and not as if I have to face it every week....

sashh Mon 25-Mar-13 07:48:44

I was going to recommend the jab.

RandomMess

Send him to my GP, he loves sticking needles in people. He even gave me the rabies vaccine for a holiday trip with very little chance of coming into contact with rabies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now