Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Middle age tummy

(8 Posts)
IAmSheWhoMustBeObeyed Fri 22-Mar-13 17:23:08

Ok I think I need to patent frontless jeans as my tummy has burst it's boundaries this evening.

IAmSheWhoMustBeObeyed Thu 21-Mar-13 11:04:24

I haven't checked to see if I have abdominal separation but am doing the exercise- vacuum exercise? in the hopes that it might help anyway. It's as easy to do as pelvic floor exercise.
Haven't started on the gin and tonics yet.

fapl Tue 19-Mar-13 22:29:26

Do you have abdominal separation? There is a more technical term for it. There is a clip about how to check for it here:

www.pilatesod.com/exercises/misc/dra-abdominal-separation-in-pregnancy/

IAmSheWhoMustBeObeyed Tue 19-Mar-13 17:27:05

Hmm. Well I don't drink much milk, only in tea and don't eat many yoghurts. In fact I worry about getting enough calcium which is meant to be important as you get older. Carbs I could definitely cut down on.

orangeflutie Tue 19-Mar-13 16:41:39

I really sympathise. I have slim legs too but due to four DC have a tummy with lots of overhang at the sides! It does get me down from time to time as it means I find it difficult to wear anything other than baggy tops and low waist jeans. I'm 45 btw and am aware it could get worse if I'm not careful.

Don't know if this will help as experimenting a bit myself but apart from doing something like pilates to stengthen core muscles, I'm cutting down on dairy. I've noticed I get v windy and bloated if I have too much so am seeking alternatives. Over the last few days I've had soya yogurts and oat milk. The milk is actually quite good so am thinking maybe try it on cereals and in drinks etc and stop myself drinking my favourite cappuccinos and lattessmile

I also crave carbs, cakes and bread so am trying hard to lay off these too.
So hard though esp after the school run.

HTH

IAmSheWhoMustBeObeyed Tue 19-Mar-13 14:47:37

I hate gyms.
I got excited when I read that gin and slimline tonic is less fattening than wine so I am planning on drinking G&Ts more!

mrsmobbs Tue 19-Mar-13 14:35:15

Well that did make me laugh, I know what you mean, my extremely overweight gp told me that middle aged women are meant to look like apples, you lay down the fat to protect your innards - her words not mine, I know what you mean though mine is round and unfortunately as I had a c section the muscles are not so good, that's my excuse anyway - apart from a tummy tuck or hours in the gym not sure i can offer much advise, just to say your post cheered me up

IAmSheWhoMustBeObeyed Tue 19-Mar-13 11:34:43

I'm 49. I have skinny legs and although less skinny over the shoulders and bust am still the size 10 I have always been but my tummy is a big blob and getting worse. What the hell can be done?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now