Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Aaaaargh I have chicken pox!!!!

(37 Posts)
BrainSurgeon Fri 15-Mar-13 11:33:21

I'm 40 ......Anyone else out there had it as an adult?
Everyone says it's bad, don't know what to expect...

nethunsreject Sat 16-Mar-13 20:58:18

I had it when pregnant and aged 35.I saw all the horror stories and was terrified. In the end it was 2 weeks being poorly then a week feeling weak then absolutely fine! Nowhere near as bad as I expected. Get well soon

Pagwatch Sat 16-Mar-13 21:01:18

Poor Brian sad

I had chicken pox in my mid 20s.
The night of the Berkley Square ball, I had a shower and noticed bumps. So being 20 I just got dressed and went to the ball.

I had no anti-virals, I was very itchy but just felt tired and I was fine, just bored, after a week. No scars, no long lasting problems.
Feel better Brian x

DS1 (6) has it at the moment and is having a rough old time of it.

A nurse friend recommended the Vira-Soothe too, and it seemed to make quite a difference - he was only complaining about the spots on his scalp earlier, rather than the 200+ over his body.

I read that the calamine works ok, but looses it's effectiveness once it's dried onto your skin, maybe that's why some say they find the cream better.

Hope you go ok with it.

EssieW Sat 16-Mar-13 21:18:56

I had it aged 34 and pregnant at the time. The first couple of days were the worst - aches/flu type thing and the spots all coming out. I found it a struggle to get downstairs or out of bed.

After that, it was OK. Some itchiness from the spots but that was mostly bearable. Damp flannel was good.

I was back at work 10 days later and feeling ok - bit tired but that could have been 3rd trimester pregnancy!

Agree withe previous posts that calamine was useless (and I think made scarring worse). Aloe Vera is opposed to be good.

Good luck!

dikkertjedap Sat 16-Mar-13 23:18:00

If you only just got it you may want to get antivirals. It can cause terrible terrible headaches, which can be serious, so if that happens seek medical help straight away.

dikkertjedap Sat 16-Mar-13 23:29:36

Glad you got the antivirals, they are only really effective if taken within 48 hours of onset, to keep virus from multiplying. Once the virus has already really multiplied the antivirals cannot do much any more.

Chickenpox can have nasty complications, especially when you get it when older. So I hope you have somebody with you who keeps an eye out and will seek help in a timely manner if necessary. You may get very high fever, so hopefully you are stocked up on paracetamol and ibuprofen.

I don't want to scare you but you may want to look on the NHS website to familiarize yourself with warning signs of complications. All treatable, as long as you seek help in time.

Hope you don't get it too bad, fingers crossed.

BrainSurgeon Sun 17-Mar-13 11:52:37

Thanks everyone smile
I think I have a reasonably mild form, spots seem to have stopped coming out and I'm not totally covered, thank goodness.
The worst thing is the headachy- dizziness.... And guess what, the main side effects of both anti-virals (as someone said) AND Piriton are headache and dizziness hmm

BrainSurgeon Sun 17-Mar-13 11:54:43

Thanks dikk... Our GP sent me a leaflet with my prescription, with all the possible complications and symptoms to watch out for. I was pleasantly surprised!

BrainSurgeon Sun 17-Mar-13 11:55:29

(By the leaflet that is)

Complications are bloody scary!

gingercat12 Tue 19-Mar-13 12:30:12

brain hope you are starting to feel better. Please, let us know.

BrainSurgeon Tue 19-Mar-13 20:39:12

Hi, yes I'm feeling much better thank you.
I think I got away with it quite easily, compared to the stories here!
Not a huge amount of spots, they are healing now (a few look absolutely disgusting)
The worst bit was having headaches and feeling dizzy - that took 5 days to clear...

gingercat12 Wed 20-Mar-13 12:49:01

I am so glad. Hope your move goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now