Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Low levels of vitamin D

(20 Posts)
chainstore Mon 25-Mar-13 23:04:58

You should ask if the gp will check for coeliac disease, as this is commonly a cause of low vitamin D levels.

mercibucket Mon 25-Mar-13 16:48:28

Its a really good idea to get a print out - just ask the receptionist. Mine do it no problems.
Glad you are feeling a lot better

mercibucket Mon 25-Mar-13 16:48:28

Its a really good idea to get a print out - just ask the receptionist. Mine do it no problems.
Glad you are feeling a lot better

Scruffalo Mon 25-Mar-13 14:01:06

Update. The tablets do seem to have kicked in. since last Thursday I have not slept during the day, which is great for me. Only bad thing is it has meant I have been spending much more time catching up on all the stuff I haven't done in the past few months and my body isn't used to it I guess. so by the end of the day I am really aching all over , but I can cope with that. The house is starting to look reasonably tidy again and that has made me much happier. The headaches have gone too although I am still getting the fuzzy/blurry eye thing sometimes and still feeling thirsty a lot as well.

I am assuming they did test thyroid stuff when I had the blood taken. It was 4 tubes full so I would imagine that was enough to test everything? I didn't actually get told the figures for anything even the vitamin d. The GP just said it was very low and that also the marker for infection (antibodies?) was slightly raised, but as I didn't have cough/cold at the time, it was nothing to worry about.

Do you think I would be able to find out everything that was tested and the results by ringing the practise? Its not something worth wasting the GP's time for but I would be quite interested to know and compare with the results I get in 6 weeks time.

BanjoPlayingTiger Sat 23-Mar-13 22:00:38

I had low vit. d and calcium. I was only in the insufficient range rather than the deficient range. I have been prescribed a combined calcium and D3 supplement, it took about 3 weeks to kick in properly, but now it is so very much better!
I am significantly less tired and less achey than I was.

Maybe we need a meet in a nice, hot, sunny place grin

mercibucket Sat 23-Mar-13 21:56:59

The tablets will soon work. Btw you can also take d3 weekly (just run it past the GP or pharmacist). Keep taking d3 supplements once the high dose regime is finished. You can buy them online (eg solgar) if the GP won't prescribe
Did you have your thyroid tested btw and do you know if your tsh was under 2? Some of the symptoms sound a bit hypothyroid as well

awaynboilyurheid Fri 22-Mar-13 21:50:24

Another one who has been toldtoday I have low VitD3 hoping when I take it it will help this chronic tiredness, Gp was suggesting I might have M.E. last week as I have been exhausted for a while but blood results have came up with this so wants me to try VitD3 , hope it works quickly as I am, to use the old quote sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. sad
I had no idea it could cause theses symptoms so thanks scruffalo and sassh for starting and answering this post as I only found out today , too late to go and get prescription but will start Monday and hopefully get some energy back

Barbie1 Sat 16-Mar-13 13:43:43

I am also very low on vit d.

I went to the doctors thinking I has a late onset of pnd but blood test told us the symptoms were more likely due to the lack of vit d.

I'm tired, moody, achy, weepy, angry, sad, etc.

I had to take a high dose of vit d in a glass vial, apparently it was a very high dose and I have to repeat every three months. I did feel better after a few days but it soon wore off, so I am taking the tablet form daily.

It can take 8 weeks to get an improved blood result so stick w

shockers Sat 16-Mar-13 13:38:01

I have taken a vit D supplement for the last 2 months. I feel a lot better, I was tired, sore all over and constantly weepy before. I'm still sore, I think I have joint problems, but I'm finding it easier to cope with.

Scruffalo Sat 16-Mar-13 13:27:51

Looking forward to getting some noticeable effects from the tablets in a week or so, as for the last few days I have felt worse than ever. I know this is probably just coincidence and not related to starting the vitamin D supplements on wednesday. I am still needing as much sleep as before (12-14 hours) but feeling tired even after that plus now when I wake up my whole body aches and I have headaches that last all day long. Also my mouth and throat at just so dry all the time even though I am drinking lots of water.

Katisha Fri 15-Mar-13 08:55:05

From what I've read I think the 10,000 a day will be fine - you won't feel any effect for a couple of weeks at least though.

rlhmum Fri 15-Mar-13 08:51:16

hi my daughter has very low vit d and was given an injection to bring the levels up more quickly , not sure if that is an option for you.

Scruffalo Thu 14-Mar-13 22:15:58

Yes it is d3, cholecalciferol. I thought 10,000 sounded a lot too, especially as the leaflet in the box says to take that amount only once a week. But the GP has definitely put daily on the prescription and that's what he said to me too. Although he did also mention that I may need to take it less often after the next blood test in 2 months.

That spray does look interesting though, even if I don't have any (physical) problem with taking tablets, I would actually prefer not to if there is an alternative available.

MousyMouse Thu 14-Mar-13 21:37:56

10,000iu is a massive dose btw. just make sure it's vit d 3 (cholecalciferol).

MousyMouse Thu 14-Mar-13 21:35:17

yes, it can have an effect on teeth and gums as well.
wait a bit, it will take a week or so for you to feel a difference.

ScottyDoc Thu 14-Mar-13 21:32:42

I'm in a rush so will tell you now, get yourself the 3000iu spray from eBay, comes in a green bottle. The pills the GP give you unfortunately aren't always the dosage that is do desperately needed. Please take my advice and take one spray every two days.

Scruffalo Thu 14-Mar-13 21:30:07

Well so far there has been no improvement ( only just taken 2nd tablet, so not expecting any really) as today I have had one of my worst days in a long time. Been really tired and needing to sit down every 15 minutes or so and also my eyes feel like I haven't slept in a week. Hopefully its just a coincidence though and things will start getting better soon.

Scruffalo Thu 14-Mar-13 09:20:10

I really hope it does make me feel better, there's so much that I've had to stop doing because it just makes me feel so exhausted.

The doctor didn't say what the level was, only that it was very low and I should start taking the tablets straight away. The ones he gave me are called ProD3 10,000IU, taken once a day.

Another question I have is: if my vitamin D levels have been low for a long time can it affect your teeth? Since the DC were born my teeth have just crumbled away (5 have fallen out/been removed, another 3 are 'broken') so I was wondering if maybe there was a link there.

sashh Thu 14-Mar-13 05:33:50

Yes, yes and yes.

My Dr tested me and my level was 7, I think normal is about 140.

The Vit D will make you feel 100% better.

Scruffalo Wed 13-Mar-13 23:08:08

My GP sent me for some blood tests last week and the results came back today saying that I had very low levels of vitamin D. I have been prescribed a supplement and need to have a repeat blood test in 2 months.

Does anyone have experience of this? I have been seeing the GP for over a year due to being extremely fatigued and generally feeling unwell. Could this be due to low vitamin D?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now