Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

hand tremors

(6 Posts)
GinAndSlimlinePlease Thu 14-Mar-13 22:01:01

Thanks deepbreath. sadly I don't think it's that. I've had 3 glasses of wine tonight and tremor worse rather than better. I couldn't hold glass in left hand as it was shaking so much.

I'll see if it improves over the next week. I'm still recovering from my mc so it could be related to that.

I'm just at that stage where I don't want any more tests!

deepbreath Thu 14-Mar-13 19:16:44

After being scared witless recently because of having neuro symptoms and shaking, I have recently been diagnosed with a condition called Essential Tremor. Some people can have it and only be slightly affected, and only notice it at times like you mentioned in your initial post - when you're trying to do something intricate like taking a photo, threading a needle. Or you may notice it more when you're under a lot of stress. One of the suggested treatments is a small amount of alcohol (!) yes, really - it apparrently eases the tremor. Other, more medical treatments tend to start with meds like beta blockers but a lot of people like myself find that they can cause more problems than they solve.

I would pop to your GP and explain what's been going on, and if they think you may have Essential Tremor you can go from there.

digerd Mon 11-Mar-13 19:14:45

I was going to say the same thing, as when my Thyroid was overactive, one of my many symptoms was shaky hands and trembling fingers.
But it would have shown up on your Thyroid blood tests.

My dad developed shaky hands in middle age and so has my brother, but otherwise fit as a fiddle.

GinAndSlimlinePlease Mon 11-Mar-13 09:44:08

I've had my thyroid tested as part of fertility treatment and it's fine...

McPheetStink Mon 11-Mar-13 09:39:17

My mum suffers from these, and hers is down to a thyroid issue.

GinAndSlimlinePlease Mon 11-Mar-13 09:36:07

I've had shaky hands, on and off, fur about the last 5 years. Not so you'd notice, I'd only notice when taking photos or doing things that requires a really steady hand.

occasionally it would be a little worse. But just one off instances.

I had a miscarriage three weeks ago and for the last 10 days my hands have been shaking a lot. Enough for my husband to notice, for drinks to spill etc. I mentioned it to the gp when I went last week (about the miscarriage) and he didn't comment.

At GPs advice I'm telling iron tablets. But I didn't think hand tremors were linked to anemia.

I've had eye problems in the past (sudden loss of partial vision, floaters, retinal bleeds) that were put down to build up on the disc (I can't remember the technical name). I had an mri scan for tumours and ms, and it came back clear.

my concern is maybe it actually is ms. It would fit the coming and going pattern. And if I remember correctly, the white build up doesn't always show in mri scans. I didn't have a Lumbar puncture.

Am I being silly and worrying unnecessarily? With the miscarriage and everything, I really don't want any unnecessary hospital tests.

Do some people just have hand tremors and everything else is normal?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now