Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

False Awakenings and aura seizures

(7 Posts)
soontobeburns Mon 11-Mar-13 02:47:41

Hi so I dont know where to start, sorry it will be long.

Basically I have had a few aura seizures where I get intense de ja vu and nausea etc been told its mosy likey eplispybut it hahasn't been confirmed on tests as I have only had 3 in 2 years im also not on any meds etc.

In the last few years though since these started about 4 times a year I have had really intense and eerie Type 2 false awakenings and sleep paralysis. I just had a very bad episode of it tonight and it felt similar to how I feel during my auras and I have a headache, pains etc like I do after an aura.

So could these be linked and it be a form of a night seizure?

Im probably over reacting but it bugs me that no one else I know in RL has it and I am not seeing the neurologist for a few month's, so I just wanna see if I am alone or to hear from others about this

Thanks for reading guys smile

headinhands Mon 11-Mar-13 03:55:27

Hi soon. I used to get de-ja-vous along with sickness just how you described from my teens through to my 20's with the same frequency. I remember being told or reading that it was indeed a type of transient/non-serious epilepsy where things happening in the here and now are short circuited into the long term memory for a second. Haven't had it for years/decades.

soontobeburns Mon 11-Mar-13 13:38:07

Its so surreal but just an awful feeling. Worried if I go to the hospital I wont be allowed to drive but if I dont it could progress argh.

EllieArroway Mon 11-Mar-13 19:18:44

I don't know anything at all about seizures & auras, but I used to get sleep paralysis when I was in my teens & it's recently started happening again. I'm wondering if there's a hormonal basis for them since I'm in peri-menopause now. Have you considered that?

soontobeburns Mon 11-Mar-13 22:49:10

Um could be due to my totm ellie but I dont think so. Probably due to extreme tiredness more than anything. I was on a hen do in Benidorm last week and go around 12 hours sleep over 4 days.

gilly86 Mon 11-Mar-13 22:53:15

I FREQUENTLY get sleep paralysis and false awakenings!

Sometimes a few times a week.

Aggghhhhhh.

soontobeburns Mon 11-Mar-13 23:39:37

Oh that must be so exhausting Gilly :-( I know the argh feeling well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now