Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DVT in early pregnancy, previous and symptoms

(9 Posts)
Frecklesandspecs Sun 10-Mar-13 20:07:59

Hi, I had a DVT about 3 months after the birth of my first child 3 1/2 years ago which sprang from nowhere (no history in family,travel ect)
Was put on Clexane throughout my 2nd pregnancy and all went fine.
Now about 6 weeks into 3rd preg (not been to see Dr yet - appt next week) and having some pain only after I get up after lying down or keeping still. Once I get moving it is all fine again. Been going on for about a week. I know the calf is still tender (it always has been to a certain extent since the DVT)
I have had times where I have had very nasty pain (I couldn't walk for a week about a year ago but nothing was found so was put down to superficial clot in the same place as DVT)
So I was wondering if this is just a bit of PTS if it is fine once I get up and about?
Also is the risk that much higher in very early pregnancy?
TY

Themobstersknife Sun 10-Mar-13 20:16:29

Are you taking clexane again? You need to get this checked out. I had a bad pain in my leg in early pregnancy (my third pregnancy). I started wearing support socks and started with some clexane I had from my previous pregnancy. I have an underlying condition that puts me at risk of clotting. The pain eventually went and I thought nothing of it. By the time I saw the GP / midwife I had forgotten all about it. Never got it checked out. I continued with the clexane but a low dose. Two weeks post partum I wound up with a PE. Was probably related. Will never know but in your case, not worth taking the risk, as they can look at increasing your clexane dose and closely monitor you if it is a DVT. Good luck.

rubyslippers Sun 10-Mar-13 20:18:03

the risk is higher once you have had a clot

don't take a change - get checked out as soon as you are able

Casmama Sun 10-Mar-13 20:24:22

I agree, don't mess about get yourself checked out. I had a dvt that I didn't act upon soon enough and it ended up moving to my groin. They said that it was massive and I was very lucky that it hadn't travelled to my lung.
Personally I would go to a&e as they can do a blood test which may rule out a blood clot and put your mind at rest or find it if it is there and treat it.

Frecklesandspecs Sun 10-Mar-13 20:33:09

Hi Ty. Not on clexane at the moment as i haven't seen Dr about the pregnancy yet. I do have some left over from last time but lost a lot of weight since then so wasn't sure about the dose.

yomellamoHelly Sun 10-Mar-13 20:38:59

Would get to gp asap. With second pg they wouldn't do bloodtest as it was bound to be positive as I was pg. Did double my dosage early though. (Was 10 1/2 wks pg. Dosage was due to be doubled at 20 weeks.)

Frecklesandspecs Sun 10-Mar-13 20:50:09

Ok Will get it checked tomorrow. Ty for info.

SlouchingPanda Mon 11-Mar-13 06:48:56

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

The risk of a clot starts in the very early stages of pregnancy, before most people have a booking appt so please do get checked ASAP. It's not too early.

Frecklesandspecs Mon 11-Mar-13 10:51:23

Thankyou slouching. I thought it was later in preg but read that it can be caused by changing hormones ect too. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now