Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Aaagh!itching scalp and sebhorric dermatitis

(20 Posts)
orangeandlemons Sun 10-Mar-13 14:55:23

I am sick of the itching. Have tried every shampoo which all control the dandruff to some extent but not the itching. I scratch so much, I often draw blood, and my scalp feels so lumpy.

Have got betnovate lotion but I can't use it regularly, but it is the only thing that works. Any advice.?

jalopy Sun 10-Mar-13 15:01:19

Have you tried Nizoral shampoo? That's supposed to be effective.

IndigoBarbie Sun 10-Mar-13 22:33:17

Hi, you are probably so fed up with trying things and in case anything makes it worse - have you considered washing your hair with bicarb of soda and water? If you make up a paste and apply it to wet hair, just in at the scalp - a wee gentle rub, and then rinse. This allows your scalp to retain the oils that are created without being stripped with the shampoo chemicals. I also know that you can wash your hair in calcium bentonite clay, which will clean your scalp/hair and you may see an improvement in your skin too. It is very gentle and if you have a google on it, many people with psoriasis and other skin complaints use it for washing all the time.

Best of luck xx

trikken Sun 10-Mar-13 22:54:00

I have this prob too. Unfortunately ive not found anything that works to rid the itching. :-(

prettybird Sun 10-Mar-13 22:56:59

Nizoral was the only stuff that worked for me - as long as I used it every couple of days for the first fortnight and then however often it suggests afterwards (can't remember off hand).

prettybird Sun 10-Mar-13 22:58:04

...including leaving it on for a couple of minutes before rinsing.

GW297 Sun 10-Mar-13 23:01:32

I am currently trying bicarbonate of soda and apple cider vinegar as I have tried every sls free shampoo and conditioner I can find. Very interested to hear about the clay too - thank you.

GW297 Sun 10-Mar-13 23:03:04

It's amazing how many people on here seem to suffer with this - I thought it was just me! Ive had it for years, as long as i can remember in fact. So fed up with it!

I have this too. Though I find the weeping behind my ears more problematic than itching.

I find that making sure I dry my hair thoroughly helps. No self drying.

The only thing I have found to work is Fucidin H cream behind my ears.

I have tried betnovate, nizoral, capasal and polytar. I am sure theres more. Polytar is the most effective!

IndigoBarbie Sun 10-Mar-13 23:15:51

Hi, I've been using the bicarbonate soda and apple cider vinegar rinse for around 6 months now. My hair can go 4, or sometimes 5 days between washes. My hair and scalp have never known it so good! Also, just as an aside........my ears are creating more wax than normal......maybe as there are no chemicals stripping away at them? I've also been using clay to wash my body for around 5 months, a solid salt natural deo and I feel great. The clay washing is actually a very pleasant one smile no more dry skin.....yay!

trikken Sun 10-Mar-13 23:53:42

Wannabe you have actually just helped me. Ive never thought about my hair drying methods exacerbating the issue. Have just had a bath and washed my hair and dug out my hair-dryer instead of letting it dry naturally (thick curly hair so supposed to make it look better) and dryed it very thoroughly and even temporarily feels much better. Thanks.

smile glad you feel its helped.

I read that seborrheic dermatitis is caused by a bacteria, so makes sense that a damp warm environment would make it grow.

I read that after thinking I had psoriasis all my life!

GW297 Mon 11-Mar-13 16:47:36

IndigoBarbie - that's really encouraging about your hair. Do you mind me asking which clay wash you use and where you get it from, please?!

orangeandlemons Mon 11-Mar-13 18:52:58

Well have done lots of googling on this. It is often caused by a fungus, and if you are prone to thrush (which I am), you are likely prone to this as well

So have tried the Nizarol last night, too soon to comment yet, but it knackers your hairsad. Do any of you lot find that if you get rainwater on your head it seems the itching stratospheric? I feel like ripping my scalp off when I've got rained on!

hobnob57 Mon 11-Mar-13 21:23:24

I have had this to varying degrees for years. During flare ups I use bicarbonate and apple cider vinegar to good effect. Does anyone else get folliculitis (small pus filled spots) with it too? With me the folliculitis seems to be exacerbated by some shampoo ingredients and I also seem to get it after chocolate binges so I do wonder about diet with all this. Hormones are a definite influence too as it comes and goes with varying stages of pg with me too.

orangeandlemons Mon 11-Mar-13 21:37:13

Do you sue the bicarbonate and vinegar to actually wash your hair, or just put on your scalp?

So many people get this, and it seems all this horrid harsh shampoos which wreck your hair don't work!

IndigoBarbie Mon 11-Mar-13 22:07:40

HI, I use rhassoul clay (bought from ebay, mixed with hot water to soften it and do not use metal with clays as this changes the charge of the ions in it) to wash my hair when I remember (mostly wash my body with it) and most other times I am washing my hair with the Bicarb then rinse with the diluted ACV. My hair is fairly long, level with my bra strap at the back. It does feel weird until you get used to the no-bubbles, but my hair is much less tuggy, is shiny and no longer frizzy. This is the method I use:
Wet hair, get some Bicarb and mix with water to make a 'paste' then put onto scalp area, and give a rub for a few minutes. Rinse completely with water. Then in a sports top water bottle, I have premixed around 1/3 ACV to the rest water in the bottle, and use about a third of the bottle per hair wash. So, dowse scalp in this, then some runs onto hair length - leave for at least 15 seconds, then rinse fully with water.
I changed to a natural bristle brush and this allows the natural oils to be distributed through my hair. I am quite amazed to be honest, I like it. I don't think there's any going back!!!! Off to find a wholesale tub of bicarb...grin

GW297 Mon 11-Mar-13 22:57:13

That is all very useful, thank you. I will be investigating the clay and natural bristle brushes shortly. Do you do anything else - changes to your diet, vitamins etc out of interest?

IndigoBarbie Tue 12-Mar-13 06:42:43

I've just begun oil pulling with cocnut oil to try to remineralise my teeth! smile I've also stopped drinking diet coke, I still eat masses of chocolate but also take the odd spoonful of Manuka honey, and drink lemon juice in water smile

EuroShaggleton Tue 12-Mar-13 06:52:30

I had acupuncture for fertility reasons and a happy side effect was that it sorted out the itchy scalp that had been bothering me for years and has tried everything on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now