Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

OUCH! Climbing the wall with toothache but it keeps moving?

(30 Posts)
minxthemanx Sun 10-Mar-13 11:40:57

Can anyone in the know explain this one? (Am seeing my dentist tomorrow but am perplexed). Have had niggling toothache for just over a week, but couldn't say specifically which tooth - one of the bottom big molars. Much, much worse Friday so made an appointment with my dentist tomorrow. Absolute agony Sat morning, still somewhere under back bottom molars but also in area between nose and top gums. Really painful. Rang NHS emergency dentist - a nurse diagnosed over the phone (!) that I didn't qualify for emergency apt as not severely swollen (silly me for saying 'a bit'), and I'm not taking enough pain killers. So I dutifully upped the painkillers. This morning the pain is shocking - under the TOP molars?! Bottom still aches but not as bad as the top ones. Still tender from nose in face, so I'm assuming sinus problem there. Why would the pain move - infection? Abscess? Will the dentist think I'm barking?

minxthemanx Wed 13-Mar-13 19:12:32

Thanks ladies, I saw my own dentist on Monday who x rayed it and says I have an infection in a root - so now looking forward to root canal work next week, after the antibiotics have sorted out the infection. He's going to take out the nerve and cheered me up by saying the tooth might crumble but he's hoping not. Never had root canal before and can't say it sounds pleasant!! I asked about the pain up into the cheek, nose etc being sinus related - he was a bit non-committal about that. He was cross that out of hours dentist service wouldn't see me and said they should have done as I was in pain, not just tell me to take more painkillers. I would complain if I had the time or energy, but have a lot of other things on at the mo.

So what's root canal work like......

I've had root canal. It was 100% less awful than I expected it to be.

Was anaesthetic-ed up to the eyeballs. Dentist was very quick, and efficient. I had two sessions to get everything out, and have had no repercussions, and that was treatment about 6 years ago.

minxthemanx Wed 13-Mar-13 21:01:49

Thank you Mrs C,I'm assuming it's going to be hideous and then anything better than that will be a bonus!

differentnameforthis Thu 14-Mar-13 00:42:17

MrsMorton Thanks for explaining that! So different. I hope people who do really need help aren't being put off by this new method. I wouldn't have thought NHS direct were the best at deciding what was a dental emergency & what wasn't, to be honest. sad

MrsMorton Thu 14-Mar-13 05:36:51

Well no, it's certainly not ideal! I think it's changing to NHS 111 soon? Who knows how that will go but you're right, the system doesn't have patients' best interests at the core IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now