Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Risks of tanning/sunbeds

(6 Posts)
specialsubject Mon 11-Mar-13 19:44:46

it's all a matter of risk - in the same way that some smokers live to 100. No lines and wrinkles at those ages is quite impressive. Most serial tanners I know look like leather, which is of course what tanning makes.

No, I don't hide indoors - I am a light brown in the summer but never deliberately sunbathe.

digerd Fri 08-Mar-13 20:28:12

ps
Never been on a sun bed.

digerd Fri 08-Mar-13 20:27:03

On holiday, I met 2 women who just sunbathed all day in the Canaries. They were both a beautiful tanned colour and they were 83 and 65 and never had skin cancer in their lives and had no lines or wrinkles either.
I think you have to be genetically vulnerable to diseases and conditions. Some maybe and some not.
It is best if moles are checked . I had a large very black one but did not think it was dangerous.- It was a black melanoma caught just in time.

Bunbaker Fri 08-Mar-13 10:59:53

If you want a tan without sun, can't you have a spray tan instead? I agree that sunbeds should be outlawed.

specialsubject Thu 07-Mar-13 19:15:25

easy tanning is not related to skin cancer risk. Excessive UV exposure IS.

sunbeds should have been outlawed years ago.

if you are worried about moles, see your GP, they will be happy to check.

JulieFrome Thu 07-Mar-13 16:59:20

Hi everyone

I tan very easily and am worried about what this means for my risk of skin cancer. I do occasionally use a sunbed and have read about the risks associated with these.

I recently came across a service called Skin Analytics who claim to monitor my moles for warning signs of skin cancer using a smartphone. Has anyone heard of them or used their service. Does it work?

Thanks

Julie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now