Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dad being discharged with a catheter - experiences?

(36 Posts)
CMOTDibbler Tue 05-Mar-13 13:32:22

My lovely, frail, elderly dad is being discharged from hospital tomorrow with a catheter following an admission in acute urinary retention due to a massive prostate - he'll be awaiting a TURP. But this could be some time apparently hmm

Any experiences of issues he might find? I'm not local enough to them to just pop in, so ideas of things to watch for would be good so I ask the right questions

gingeroots Wed 06-Mar-13 20:51:33

Thank goodness he's got you Dibbler .

Sharpkat Thu 07-Mar-13 13:58:27

I have just come home with a catheter in. It is horrible. How can I make it more bearable. I feel like I just want to go all the time.

It is until Monday. This is a long time being uncomfortable.

lilac26 Thu 07-Mar-13 16:46:36

Sharpkat

Where is it uncomfortable? What does the discomfort feel like, stabbing, dull, cramping etc. Is it constant or intermittent? Does it feel like the waves of spasm you get if bursting for a wee? Is it draining ok?

Do you have a elasticated strap on your thigh anchoring the catheter at the y-shape bit? Is it draining into a bag or does it have a tap you use to drain it at intervals?

What is the reason for having a catheter - this info might be relevant in considering cause of discomfort and what might be available to you to improve things.

Sharpkat Fri 08-Mar-13 15:53:16

Hi lilac

It is just uncomfortable to sit - general discomfort. I feel like I just want to yank it out. It is draining fine. I just feel as though I want to wee normally.

I only have day bags and drink quite a lot during the night so was up and down like a yo yo. Lying down is most comfortable but the tube seems to pull when I get up.

The urine is very dark today. Have been drinking but probably not enough.

Spoke to urology today and despite A&E saying it would come out on Monday, apparently the first appointment is not until 22nd March blush I will go mad. Already had to cancel my lunch plans tomorrow and feel so lonely at home as I cannot go out. sad

Your advice above has been helpful so thank you thanks

CMOTDibbler Fri 08-Mar-13 16:02:40

sharpkat, can you call your district nursing team and get them to have a look? They should be able to tell you how to sort out night bags too.

Poor dad has already had a blocked catheter, and had it changed by the DN this morning - and a gentle telling off for not calling them in the night when it blocked. DN team seem really on the ball, and have been asking questions about how they are coping.

Rollator ordered, meals delivered from Wiltshire Farm foods (mum went shopping on her own and didn't do very well on bringing home appropriate food), and dad is now more receptive about a cleaner.

My stress levels are sky high though!

Sharpkat Fri 08-Mar-13 17:05:39

Don't think I have a district health team. Not sure we have them in London. Would have no idea who to call unfortunately.

Am only 33.

Good luck with everything with your Dad. My mum is going through similar with my grandpa so I know how stressful it is. winebrewthanks

gingeroots Fri 08-Mar-13 17:11:17

Sharpkat - yes we have district nursing teams in London .
Absolutely .

Your GP practice can /need to refer you .

Or phone hospital ward where they gave you catheter .

Or go to A&E or your GP's .

But don't suffer in silence .

CMOTDibbler Fri 08-Mar-13 17:29:32

NHS direct can put you in touch with the DN team (I remember from when dh had an incision that wouldn't stop bleeding they called them out to re dress it), but you may still have time to go through your GP - call up and ask to speak to the nurse practitioner for some advice, and don't take no for an answer. Someone needs to help you out

ggirl Fri 08-Mar-13 19:32:14

Bad discharges are so common now, I visited a gentleman today who had a catheter put in 5weeks ago in hospital , no referral made to District nursing or GP , he asked in the surgery about his catheter that was causing him a lot of pain and the practice nurse asked us to vist..unbelievable!!!!!!!!! We had no clue about him ..poor chap.

ggirl Fri 08-Mar-13 19:36:02

Sharpkat- you're catheter may be a latex short term one and due for renewal, short term ones last for about 4 weeks .

harbinger Fri 08-Mar-13 19:44:54

ggirl I was discharged from A&E with a catheter and nobody knew about it.

GPs said they couldn't remove one put in by the hospital confused. I had to do so much chasing around but in the end a DN took it out.

I ended up wearing it for about three weeks though and was so worried about infection etc.

What if an elderly person was discharged with one and couldn't chase up?
Mushrooms?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now