Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help! woke up with the dreaded headlice!

(14 Posts)
Ladyemem Sat 02-Mar-13 06:27:24

been up since 3am and found headlice. must have caught it from my daughter.

have long very thick hair so going to be a nightmare.

Anyone know if hair dye kills them?

will also get some lice killer treatment for my daughter to make sure hers have all gone. Any recommendations on products please.

pinkmagic1 Sat 02-Mar-13 07:06:55

I discovered we had them a week ago. I also have very thick long hair and dd has very curly almost afro hair. I used Lyclear as it contains permethrin which is supposed to kill the eggs as well as the lice and have been applying conditioner daily and combing with a nit comb since then. This seems to have got rid, good luck

Twosugarsplease Sat 02-Mar-13 13:18:49

The nitty gritty comb really is amazing, just will take longer the thicker your hair but very effective getting them out, then treat as normal. Google the comb, we paid £10 for ours but worth it.

MaeMobley Sat 02-Mar-13 13:23:19

I would also recommend the Nitty Gritty comb but find it hard to use on myself so end up using Hedrin on myself.

auntpetunia Sun 03-Mar-13 14:51:17

I love the nitty gritty comb, one go over with tonnes of conditioner got all the buggers last time DD had them. I also find it hard to do my own hair with it

DeepRedBetty Sun 03-Mar-13 14:54:23

It really helps if someone else does your own hair.

I think I've tried everything over the years, but the winners hands down are Hedrin and Nitty Gritty Comb with industrial quantities of cheap conditioner. Fabric conditioner is perfectly good for this particular job.

Full Marks doesn't work at all.

SoggySummer Sun 03-Mar-13 14:59:22

I hate headlice. My dd has very long and very thick hair. I too recommend the Nitty Gritty comb for combing through. I use value conditioner.

Hedrin is my treatment of choice.

Zipbangboom Sun 03-Mar-13 15:05:45

Nightmare - poor you. Try Full Marks, serious combing, 7 attempts with Head n Shoulders trip to the swimming pool to get rid of the grease and a repeat performance 3 days later.

Full Marks worked for us but leaves you with serious grease problem.

Jellybellyrbest Sun 03-Mar-13 15:14:31

Same here!!!! Discovered in DDs yest & myself today. I had 1 louse, DD2 had 1 louse & DD1 (who c/o itch) had 9 (!!!!!!) lice and lots of eggs. Am absolutelty horrified, we've never had before. Dreading telling school tom. We've conditioner combed with a basic lice comb & have Hedrined us all. DH and DD3 seem ok, but will keep checking. For those of you who've used Hedrin before; does it clear it if you follow instructions and re-do in 7 days? Also; what's the best way of getting rid of the nasty gluey eggs?

fivecupsoftea Mon 04-Mar-13 15:22:38

You can buy this stuff call Hedrin which you put on your hair, it is not a pesticide like full marks, it works by coating the nits and smothers them, you leave it on for some time, I generally left it on overnight. I used to use that and the nitri gritti comb.

We also had this last week. DD (aged 3) was riddled with them, I had a few, DH Had none. We have used nitty gritty comb on all of us, and I have also used headrin on mine. Have done it on days 1, 3 and 6 and seems to be getting progressively better each time. There was nothing really in mine when I combed this morning and DD only had a few tiny ones in hers. I think key with nitty gritty is to keep using it every time you wash hair, until such a point where there are no lice or nits and then maybe still use it alternate washes to try to prevent future infestations. Is truly grim.

Ladyemem Tue 05-Mar-13 11:54:15

thanks everyone. have used hedrin on both of us. Will check out the nitty gritty comb in the shops later. my hair is ultra thick (red head) so have trouble with nit combs. :S

Chiggers Thu 07-Mar-13 11:16:03

Just had the kids off for 2 days while I got rid of the wee buggers. I have have been using Hedrin and the Nitty Gritty comb. I've also been using tweezers to crush the eggs, so have been going through DD and DS's hair cm by cm. I now have an insane and an almost irresistible urge to go looking for more nits and lice. I just love killing the little blighters grin

Dh has called me Chigger the Digger as I have to dig through DD's thick hair to get to the lice and eggs.

Chiggers Thu 07-Mar-13 11:20:28

Meant to also say that a mixture of Neem, Tea Tree and Lavender oil, in a spray bottle with water, should keep the lice at bay after getting rid of as many lice as humanly possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now