Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

My husband today

(45 Posts)
Mytimewillcome Wed 27-Feb-13 18:46:17

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with him? Today he woke up looking like he hadn't slept for a week. Extremely tired. And then he kept forgetting to eat. When we went out I asked him to get food for our son and he went and then couldn't remember where he left us. He then went for food twice and came back without anything. He is slurring his words. He hasn't really eaten anything today and can't seem to remember anything in the short term at all. He didn't go out last night. Is it drugs related? I don't know as I've never done them. He did them a long time ago but hasn't since before he met me so at least 10 years.

piemistress Sat 02-Mar-13 23:09:25

How is he OP?

digerd Thu 28-Feb-13 09:34:18

OP
You MUST go with him as you know what happened and he does not.

staverton Thu 28-Feb-13 09:17:26

Please go with him and tell dr he was slurring and was confused

Mytimewillcome Thu 28-Feb-13 08:27:55

They suggested that he goes for tests for diabetes and thyroid problems. I know about diabetes and it could explain the confusion. Anyway we are going to see our doctor today. He is better today but still very tired. He is not slurring now.

lisad123everybodydancenow Wed 27-Feb-13 23:55:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WannabeWilloughby Wed 27-Feb-13 22:53:43

Push to get him seen by someone. Im sure once your DH tells the GP his symptoms they will want to see him immediately but if for some crazy reason they dont, take him to a&e. My DH hates doctors and has to be dying before seeing one so I sympathise.

TheChaoGoesMu Wed 27-Feb-13 22:43:50

Shit, take him to a and e. Better to be safe than sorry. Its not worth the risk of waiting to see.

Lucyellensmum95 Wed 27-Feb-13 22:40:33

Please let us know how your DH is?

staverton Wed 27-Feb-13 22:39:23

He is speaking to them? Maybe you should- he might not think there is anything wrong and remember that he forgot stuff !

MagentaDeWine Wed 27-Feb-13 22:28:37

What you describe includes so-called "red flag" symptoms like slurring of speech which need urgent/emergency medical assessment.

See the "ACT FAST" website: http://www.nhs.uk/actfast/Pages/stroke.aspx

To be honest if this were my DH I would be taking him down to A&E now for face-to-face assessment; but the out of hours service may well suggest the same as long as the story and symptoms are explained as clearly as you have written here.

It may or may not be stroke but those symptoms need checked out now.

Good luck and thinking of you both.

lisad123everybodydancenow Wed 27-Feb-13 22:00:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

exexpat Wed 27-Feb-13 21:58:28

Hope you are listening in and can talk to GP too if necessary, because if there is something going on, he may not be able to explain clearly - it would be helpful to the doctor if you described what he was like.

Lucyellensmum95 Wed 27-Feb-13 21:56:02

Good news, hopefully they will be able to advise, whatever happens he needs to see his doctor

Mytimewillcome Wed 27-Feb-13 21:54:33

He is speaking to an out of hours GP at the moment. I had to force him to as he thinks nothing is wrong.

ApplyYourself Wed 27-Feb-13 21:53:57

Why would he take a sleeping pill so early? Does he have them to hand? And why on earth would you think this drugs related if he hasn't touched them for a decade? Unless he's Ronnie Woods or something

Genuinely confused

piemistress Wed 27-Feb-13 21:50:29

Please phone someone, they would much rather you phoned. Don't diagnose off the internet

buildingmycorestrength Wed 27-Feb-13 21:42:54

It frightens me that I could be behaving like this and my other half completely fail to take it seriously enough.

Please get it sorted.

Lucyellensmum95 Wed 27-Feb-13 21:33:58

He took a sleeping tablet? im a bit confused? genuinely, not questioning the OP. Just that well, she sounds a bit muddled.

Please call SOMEONE - i dont want to worry you but this could be really serious.

GirlOutNumbered Wed 27-Feb-13 21:28:11

Call NHS direct now. This is not normal behaviour.

ApplyYourself Wed 27-Feb-13 21:25:26

Are you mad?

Sorry to be blunt but you need to at least call a DR and explain the symptoms and have them make a decision.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Wed 27-Feb-13 21:25:18

Please do something.

My dad presented these symptoms for a few weeks and then had a massive seizure and was then in hospital for a month. He has an amyloid protein on the brain.

Please get him checked out.

MrsMushroom Wed 27-Feb-13 21:25:08

Not NHS direct...AandE now!

Matildaduck Wed 27-Feb-13 21:25:08

Better a short trip to hospital then months of caring for a stroke victim ...or worse.

Makeminealarge Wed 27-Feb-13 21:22:27

I also strongly suggest this could be a TIA (mini stroke). Further examinations will be needed. He may seem fine but if it is a TIA there is a higher risk of a full on stroke in the near future. New confusion and slurring of words are something that should not be ignored. At least call nhs direct.

exexpat Wed 27-Feb-13 21:21:35

Please at least call NHS direct, but I have a feeling that if you describe the symptoms as you did in the OP, they will tell you to take him to A&E.

He may not have all the symptoms of a stroke, but slurring words and confusion are symptoms of stroke and of other serious problems in the brain.

It could be nothing, but it is definitely not normal and could be hugely serious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now