Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

wtf is wrong with me?

(76 Posts)
MikeLitoris Sun 24-Feb-13 19:44:31

Late friday night I started to get a head ache. Started at the back of my head. Really heavy pounding head. Went to bed about 11 and by then I was a bit achey all over.

Woke up yesterday with sore throat (no tonsils if that makes a diff) and same head ache. As the day went on my neck and back got stiffer until I could hardly move upper body. I was thinking start of flu maybe?

Woke up today much the same, al my joints in uper body are extremely stiff, cannot move my neck at all. My head spins everytime I move. It feels like my brain is too big for my head iygwim.

Even blinking makes me feel spaced out. I cant lift my arms and my lower back is agony. Legs aand feet feel fine.

No other cold/flu symtoms. Painkillers not touching my head and I take amitriptilyne (sp) which I thought may help joint/muscle pain but isnt.

Any ideas?

Sorry for spelling mistakes, even typing this is making my head spin.

herethereandeverywhere Sun 24-Feb-13 21:06:19

Please don't wait for a rash! Anyone who suspects meningitis please don't wait for a rash, I hate that bit of advice. The rash is the onset of septicemia - if you have ANY symptoms/suspect it's something serious please get them checked out at A&E/OOH, the sooner it's seen, the easier it is treated. Don't wait for septicemia before acting.

QueenBee245 Sun 24-Feb-13 21:11:48

I agree with going to A&E, if you suspect meningitis then you are not wasting the drs time, hope they get back to you soon

Lucyellensmum95 Sun 24-Feb-13 21:15:30

My money is on a trapped nerve actually - ouchie!! sad But yes, definately definately needs checking ASAP

nannyof3 Sun 24-Feb-13 21:15:53

While i was reading i was thinking meningitis or swine flu... But if u feel better when laying completely still then it does sound unlikely...

Maybe septic arthritis

Badvoc Sun 24-Feb-13 21:17:02

Are your feet cold?
Mottled?
If so phone an ambulance.
Don't wait for NHS direct to phone back.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 24-Feb-13 21:19:18

Any news Mike?

MikeLitoris Sun 24-Feb-13 21:29:24

No ooh appts until 12am.

No point going to a&e as thats where ooh is.

I've had a little cry and am now propped up on setee with a million pillows. Hopefully they will get a cancellation and call me back.

QueenBee245 Sun 24-Feb-13 21:29:34

Vertigo maybe, my mum had it when I was younger and she felt a bit crappy for a few days before she had the full on couldn't get up

QueenBee245 Sun 24-Feb-13 21:31:42

A&E is usually run by urgency, if they suspect meningitis or anything serious you will get seen before people with appointments from OOH
Worst case scenario is they ask you to go back tomorrow but from your symptoms I highly doubt they will turn you away

HavingALittleFaithBaby Sun 24-Feb-13 21:32:05

IME OOH is attached to A&E but staffed separately. Seriously, I'd get one PIL to mind the kids and go to A&E with the other.

cardamomginger Sun 24-Feb-13 21:33:27

Please go to A&E. Please.

cjel Sun 24-Feb-13 21:33:35

I have had similar with migraines, but was pestering drs for day to keep confirming it!! A&E sounds good. You may jump queue?

Trazzletoes Sun 24-Feb-13 21:33:41

Yup I would still go to A&E.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 24-Feb-13 21:35:07

It sounds more than vertigo to me, and some of your symptoms are very worrying. I would get yourself to a&e Mike. Better safe than sorry.

Xx

Bakingnovice Sun 24-Feb-13 21:36:41

Get checked out soon. X

OnlyWantsOne Sun 24-Feb-13 21:38:36

Go to a&e lovely please xx

Pozzled Mon 25-Feb-13 07:39:11

OP, I do hope you went to A&E last night. I have been worrying about you! Still hoping that it's something painful but minor and that you're feeling better today.

Please do let us know how you are.

Dirtymistress Mon 25-Feb-13 07:46:04

Have just seen this. I had meningitis in August just gone when 11 weeks pg. I didn't get a rash at all! Stiff neck, the worst headache I have ever had and light sensitivity. It's not that uncommon. Get checked out.

duende Mon 25-Feb-13 07:48:40

Hi, hope you're ok. For some reason woke up this morning and thought about this thread and OP.
Let us know you're ok, when you can.

MikeLitoris Mon 25-Feb-13 08:28:03

Thank you all for checking on me.

I did go to a&e and was seen quite quickly. The DR there says Its some sort of viral infection. He said possibly viral meningitis but as there is no treatment as such for that so I could go home with stronger anti inflammatories than I had. He said to keep hydrated and relax as much as possible.

I actually feel a bit better this morning. Still very stiff but my brain doesnt feel so big grin

HavingALittleFaithBaby Mon 25-Feb-13 08:57:18

Good job you got checked out. Make sure you stay well hydrated as you recover (that's where I struggled in a similar situation) and make sure you accept any help to look after the DC as you recover!

MikeLitoris Mon 25-Feb-13 08:58:47

I've had to come into work for a little while but plan on getting home to bed asap.

Thank you faith

What part of "relax as much as possible" did you not quite understand? Get yourself home! grin

Glad you are feeling better - but you still need to recover so do what the doctor ordered, drink lots and lie on the couch and MN all day.

I'm glad you got seen. Do take care.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Mon 25-Feb-13 09:21:54

Hopefully work will see how poorly you are?! shock Get home good woman!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now