Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

DH has an oesophageal tumour...

(31 Posts)
Inaminutenow Fri 22-Feb-13 21:54:08

DH is only 51, we've got two DS 6 and 3 and he has two grown up kids 20 and 23. He'd developed problems with swallowing and lost a considerable amount of weight. Has now been diagnosed, undergoing further tests to see the extent of it all - I'm terrified. Overall general prognosis doesn't seem very good. Have you any experience of this?

plim Sat 02-Mar-13 21:11:43

Hi my auntie had an oesophagus tumour, was very high up and she had secondaries in her lung. They looked at surgery, a stent and chemotherapy but she was too weak (had Los a lot of weight), she had a feeding tube into the stomach through belly and lived for 6 weeks from diagnosis. She was 72, frail and very thin and the main problem was the height if the tumour. If lower they can do quite a bit I think. Good luck and hug xxxxxx

FairPhyllis Sun 03-Mar-13 02:59:05

AIUI if a tumour is aggressive enough to have spread to a distant location, there's not much benefit in having surgery on the metastases. But palliative chemo and RT can be offered, and a stent can be used. There is always something that can be done to help alleviate discomfort even if it's not curative. But don't get ahead of yourself - you don't know what you're dealing with until you get the PET scan.

Maybe you could check out the thread for people supporting their DP with cancer that was linked above. There's also this patient support organisation for OC, which has a telephone helpline.

digerd Sun 03-Mar-13 07:31:58

Fair
Thought you didn't live in UK. Here , we have only a handful of PET scans - last time I read only 5 in the country and US hundreds.
We use MRI scans and CT scans mostly.

gingeroots Sun 03-Mar-13 09:14:27

Inaminute I often think that in some ways it must be harder for partners than for the person undergoing the treatment .

The only piece of advice that has stuck in my mind is that you should be led by the person with the diagnosis ,so if they don't want to discuss it ,you don't .
But I'm not really sure if that's helpful ...

Thinking of you .

FairPhyllis Sun 03-Mar-13 16:26:55

I said PET scan because that is what OP said ...

Also my grandmother had a PET scan in the UK because she was treated at Addenbrookes, which has one.

Inaminutenow Mon 04-Mar-13 20:59:31

No date for PET scan yet; we'll have to go to Cardiff.
Little DS ended up in A&E from school this morning, as he had fallen and banged his forehead; nasty gash on his forehead. Was superglued and butterfly stitched, thankfully no actual stitches required.
DH is eating quite well at the moment, mincing meals down to almost baby food consistency, but he doesn't mind, needs must. I've also bought some fortifying powders, so between everything hopefully he'll put some weight back on.
Have had a read on the other thread re people supporting their DP with cancer - it's a whole different language.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now