Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help-smear tests

(8 Posts)
Mrcrumpswife Thu 21-Feb-13 13:49:56

I had a smear test which came back with borderline changes beg of 2012 so i was asked to return in 6 months time which i was fine with. I returned for repeat smear in aug/sept 2012 which came back as 'unable to process sample' so i was asked to return again in 3 months time. I rearranged but had to cancel due to bleeding at the arranged time then the next appointment was cancelled by the surgery as nurse was off sick. I have just finally had the next smear which has also come back as 'unable to process'. I now need to return again in another 3 months.

I am finding it incredibly hard to book appointments as i am bleeding throughout my cycle and after sex so i am feeling totally fed up and very worried because i have been treated for CIN 3 twice now with loop diathermy and something else? over the years.

I saw locum G.P today to say how worried i am about the delay of a reliable test and my well documented constant bleeding and she told me that she will treat me for an STD and put me on the pill for 3 months to stop the bleeding. I do not have an STD as i have been swabbed due to the bleeding with every smear and i am nearly 41 who has just given up smoking after 27 years who does not want to go on the pill.

She says she cant refer me to the hospital because i refused the anti Bs and the pill.

Do i have any options or am i stuck in the hope that the next smear which might get delayed again due to my random bleeding in 3/4 months time comes back as readable. What happens if that one comes back as faulty and unreadable?

I do not want the pill or antibiotics.

Sorry its a jumble, i have just got back from the surgery and feel very upsetsad

BelaLug0si Thu 21-Feb-13 22:08:30

Can I check your history is:
Jan 2012 borderline changes
Aug 2012 inadequate
Feb 2013 inadequate again
Both due to the blood?
You're having lots of bleeding problems
You've had 2 x LLETZ in the past with CIN3 and possibly something else (dates?)

Did the locumGP do a speculum/visual examination of your cervix?
Have you been to see your regular GP about the bleeding?

Seriouslysleepdeprived Thu 21-Feb-13 22:49:42

I've had 6 monthly smears for the last 15 years & I have given up trying to get it done at the GP's. You can go to your nearest family planning clinic on a day you're not bleeding and have an impromptu smear.

I would get one done asap tbh. With your history you need to keep on top of it. If you're bleeding continuously you should be referred to a gyne.

Hope it's ok...My results improved a lot once I have up smoking.

BelaLug0si Thu 21-Feb-13 23:41:24

Personally I would suggest skipping trying to get a repeat smear and push for the gynae/colposcopy referral. If the next one's inadequate then you'd be referred back to colposcopy.
Depending on which guidelines you read, the infection and hormones check are suggested, but so is an exam and Gynae/colp referral. As it sounds like its been going on for awhile and you've had previous treatment for CIN that's what I'd want.
I can give you some links to NICE and Gynae guidelines if you want to read up and use to discuss with the GP.

Bugsylugs Fri 22-Feb-13 00:05:05

Has bela summarised correctly and on top of that you have intermenstrual bleeding? Ie erratic bleeding not just when your period is on and post sex bleeding? Gynaecology referral is warranted. Try another GP if the above is correct. Have you been examined?

Mrcrumpswife Fri 22-Feb-13 12:43:03

Thankyou all very much for your help. Yes Bela you summarised perfectly what the situation is.

I had a terrible nights sleep so was up at stupid o clock this morning googling NICE guidelines after popping on here!

I felt confident enough to phone the surgery back this morn. I spoke to my normal G.P after getting a bit tearful with the receptionist and all of a sudden i now have the paperwork to click and choose the Gynae i want to see at the local hospital as it must all have been a silly misunderstanding with the locumhmm

I'm not normally at all phased when it comes to fighting my corner when it comes to the childrens health but yesterday i fell to pieces about myself!

My appointment is in April so hopefully i can get the all clear and its all down to stupid hormones. Its been the main reason i gave up smoking as nobody should be spotting constantly so i have convinced myself somethings wrong hence the tears.

Thanks again

BelaLug0si Fri 22-Feb-13 19:39:46

Hey pleased to hear you've got a referral, if you want any other links then let me know.

Will be thinking of you smile

Mrcrumpswife Sat 23-Feb-13 11:18:44

Thanks Bela, it really is appreciatedsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now